Mailing List Archive

Centralized Load balancing via 802.1q?
Greetings-

We're currently using a number of pairs of ServerIron XL's on separate
subnets/vlans to offer load balancing services for multiple customers.
Most of these devices are sorely underutilized, and taking up valuable
datacenter space.

We had visited the issue w/ foundry a couple of years ago, ideally
wanting to trunk up a central pair of devices via 802.1q trunk to our
core switches, and use that to provide "virtual serverirons" on any vlan
we needed. It turns out we couldn't do that at the time, and despite
what their product manager told me at CeBit, it still can't.

It looks like source-ip and source-nat are about as close as we can
come, but our customers are unwilling to lose the true source ip of the
incoming connections for log analysis purposes. I believe this is
because the serverirons are primarily layer2 devices, no?

In addition, the foundry folks seem to have lost our support contract
(that we renewed 2 weeks ago) and seem unwilling or unable to give us a
straight answer on this. It's astonishing, really, how hard they are
working to not take our money. Oh well.

All of that said (thanks for reading this far), is anyone aware of a
foundry product that can do what we're looking for? Failing that, anyone
else's product?

Thanks,
Matt

--