I've checked Google and this list's archives but haven't seen this come
up. Foundry won't even give me the time of day unless I have a service
contract... and my question is (I think) simple.

Can I enable "port mirroring" on a ServerIron XL? I have a host that's
acting up and I'd like to mirror all of its traffic to another port so
Snort can listen to it.

Thanks! :)

-Jonathan
Mirroring port - ServerIron XL [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 29 Nov 2003, Jonathan Nichols wrote:

> Can I enable "port mirroring" on a ServerIron XL? I have a host that's
> acting up and I'd like to mirror all of its traffic to another port so
> Snort can listen to it.

I've never tried it, but the manuals seem to indicate that you can.

Use the "mirror-port" command to define a mirror port, and
the "monitor on" command within the interface definition to specify
the port to be mirrored.

See http://www.foundrynet.com/services/documentation/siCLI/ServerIron_CLI_global_CONFIG.html#31529

Bruce.

> Thanks! :)
>
> -Jonathan

Bruce Rodger |Bruce.Rodger@strath.ac.uk PGP key available
Network Manager, IT Services |http://www.strath.ac.uk/IT/People/bruce.html
The University of Strathclyde | +44 (0)141 548 3300
Glasgow G4 0LN, Scotland. | Fax 553 4100
Mirroring port - ServerIron XL [ In reply to ]
Look for the monitor and mirror commands, which in some versions of code
are at the interface level of the config, and in others are at the main
level.