But, how can I terminate QinQ internal VLAN on untagged port ?

Regards,
Marcin
Re: Summit/Alpine - ExtremeWare and QinQ [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 4 Mar 2009, Marcin Kuczera wrote:

> could you tell me how is the QinQ working in Summit5i/Alpine switches ?
> I see almost no documentation about that (or maybe I use wrong keyword for
> searching).
> As I understood, I have to enable JumboFrames, then I consider using still
> 0x8100 ethertype, so, the switch as I suppos will relay QinQ transparently..
> (correct me if I'am wrong)

If you keep 0x8100, the switch will relay already tagged QinQ, but it
can't untag (it'll only see the outer tag).

> But, how can I terminate QinQ internal VLAN on untagged port ?

You can't. i-chipset equipment can have it's ethertype changed (vman) but
this isn't really QinQ as seen on most other providers.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson email: swmike@swm.pp.se
Re: Summit/Alpine - ExtremeWare and QinQ [ In reply to ]
Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Mar 2009, Marcin Kuczera wrote:
>
>> could you tell me how is the QinQ working in Summit5i/Alpine switches ?
>> I see almost no documentation about that (or maybe I use wrong keyword
>> for searching).
>> As I understood, I have to enable JumboFrames, then I consider using
>> still 0x8100 ethertype, so, the switch as I suppos will relay QinQ
>> transparently..
>> (correct me if I'am wrong)
>
> If you keep 0x8100, the switch will relay already tagged QinQ, but it
> can't untag (it'll only see the outer tag).

ok, perfect (at this stage)

>> But, how can I terminate QinQ internal VLAN on untagged port ?
>
> You can't. i-chipset equipment can have it's ethertype changed (vman)
> but this isn't really QinQ as seen on most other providers.

is there any other method to make it ?
Or its impossible on Summit5i/Alpine at all ?

I feel like these switches can not use 2 ethertypes paralelly..

What I want to do one day is to connect RedBack BRAS via Extreme "core"
to edge devices (Dlin DES-3028) that will terminate QinQ circuits on
physical ports, so that every subscribers will have it's own QinQ vlan
towards BRAS.

Marcin

Re: Summit/Alpine - ExtremeWare and QinQ [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 4 Mar 2009, Marcin Kuczera wrote:

> is there any other method to make it ?
> Or its impossible on Summit5i/Alpine at all ?

i-chipset was designed in 97-98 or so. It doesn't have q-in-q.

> I feel like these switches can not use 2 ethertypes paralelly..

You can set what ethertype it considers to be dot1q packets, that's it.

> What I want to do one day is to connect RedBack BRAS via Extreme "core" to
> edge devices (Dlin DES-3028) that will terminate QinQ circuits on physical
> ports, so that every subscribers will have it's own QinQ vlan towards BRAS.

If your 3028 can do qinq then it can be done, otherwise I'd say no.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson email: swmike@swm.pp.se