Mailing List Archive

Upgrade
Yesterday we tried to upgrade our F760 filer running 6.0.1r3 to 6.1.2r3.
After the upgrade our NFS environment worked fine but cifs environment would
not work. I can go to filer view and everything looked fine, I can see my
shares, qtree and snapshots fine. All configurations as far as domain, DNS
server, WINS and other networking is also fine. Yet when I try to access a
share it will ask me for a login name and password. Same behavior when I try
to access filer through network neighborhood even though I am logged in as
administrator.

We have a windows 2000 domain and a Windows NT 4.0 domain and there is a two
way trust between them. Filer is in Windows 2000 domain and it was there
even before the upgrade and been working fine. Talked to NetApp support and
they made me try different things but could not be able to solve the issue.
According to them they have never seen this kind of problem before. After
the upgrade when it did not work I ran the cifs setup it gave me an error:

"DNS does not appear to be configured correctly for proper windows 2000
operation in this domain. The filer could not resolve simple domain name
'MESIROWFINANCIA' to DNS form 'MESIROWFINANCIAL.NET'

If I use a filer view setup wizard it would give me an error that domain
name is illegal. What is confusing here is filer had been working fine for
over two years in the same w2k domain with the same name without any
problem.

Netapp tech support had me run setup quite a few times and I also came
across an error CIFS - Domain name not legal in the root volume language.

After trying to fix this problem for 5 hours I finally decided to roll back
so that filer is up and functioning. Once I rolled back to 6.0.1r3 cifs
started to work but now NFS works fine, access from NT 4.0 domain works fine
but if you are logged in to windows 2000 domain you cannot access the filer
even though filer is also in windows 2000 domain. When you try to access it
will give you an error "The account is not authorized to log in from this
station".

The case is still open with Netapp and we are trying different things but so
far no luck. Any suggestion and help from you guys will be highly
appreciated.

Mustafa Sayla
Sr. Network Administrator
Mesirow Financial
312-595-6388
Re: Upgrade [ In reply to ]
Sounds to me like your problem lies in the fact that your filer is not in a
true Windows 2000 Mode.
I believe that 6.1 adds full support for Windows 2000 Domains, but don't
quote me on that.

To solve you problem do the following:

In your windows 2000 DNS server add a new alias or CNAME:
MESIROWFINANCIA CNAME MESIROWFINANCIAL.NET
This is for backwards compatibility for your old clients and
servers.

After the upgrade of the filer re-run CIFS SETUP

Make sure you delete the computer account for the filer in your
domain and have it re-created.

Once completed you should be able to run CIFS DOMAININFO and get the
following:
DNS Domain Name: MESIROWFINANCIAL.NET
Type: Windows 2000

You are also having a problem because your Domain name is longer than 15
Characters:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q226144

Windows 9x machines and any other Netbios based systems will not be able to
access it using the full name.

Good luck.
Bryan.

| | "Sayla, Mustafa" |