I am trying to connect to the filer at \\crsqfiler\image to create and store images of our WIN2K servers. I used Powerquest to create the boot disks (Powerquest Boot Disk Builder Version 5.01 Build Bdb501.012). I receive the following error when attempting to connect to the filer from DOS - Error 58 The network has responded incorrectly. Attempts to connect to other sharepoints on the filer are also unsuccessful. I can connect to any WIN2K Share with no problem. I have reviewed the issues in the NETAPP Knowledge base, as well as, Powerquest's knowledge base and can find no remedy

Has anyone been able to get this to work?

Steven
RE: Accessing Filer from DOS [ In reply to ]
I ran into a similar issue with a network boot disk that Norton Ghost made.
I solved the problem by using Bart's network boot disk to connect to our
filer. They seem to keep up with new dos drivers/utils for tcp/ip, ms
network client, and nic drivers.

You can download the disk from
http://students.lco-college.edu/bootcd/network_boot_disk.htm
<http://students.lco-college.edu/bootcd/network_boot_disk.htm>

If a NT server goes down, we want to be able to re-image the windows server
from the filer. We must do this from a DOS prompt. So the question is how do
I access the filer using DOS.

The following is the information from our NT Admin:

RE: Accessing Filer from DOS [ In reply to ]
One word; SAMBA
If you are running unix/linux servers in the same environment, run samba on
one of them and modify your share connection on the Norton bootdisk or
whatever you are using. Eg net use z \\
<file:///\\%3cunix_servername%3e\%3csamba_share_to_image_dir>
<unix_servername>\<samba_share_to_image_dir>. SAMBA will take care of all
the authentication with your DC with your existing ghost userid. We use it
for our pc/laptop images.

SAMBA and unix/linux. Never leave home without them!

Aaron
www.navitaire.com

RE: Accessing Filer from DOS [ In reply to ]
Hi,

You just need to modify the following line in the floppy to gain access
to filers from DOS prompt.

By default, the boot disk builder uses basic redirection. The Filers
require Full redirection to make connections.

Edit the A:\autoexec.bat on the floppy you just created and look for the
line
net start basic
Change this line to read
net start full

That will take care of the problem.

Rahul Kumar,
Tele: + 91 20 2930812 (D),
Cell: + 91 982230 9177.
EDS PLM Solutions, Pune, India.

AW: Accessing Filer from DOS [ In reply to ]
There's yet another entry you may need to set:

preferredredir=full

This needs to be set in system.ini, typically in the directory where you
keep the "net" command on your bootdisk. That way, you won't have to issue
"net start /full" but a "net start" will suffice. If that still doesn't
help, also set

autostart=full

in system.ini - this has always worked for us.

See http://now.netapp.com/Knowledgebase/solutionarea.asp?id=ntapcs3583 for
details and also see
http://now.netapp.com/Knowledgebase/solutionarea.asp?id=ntapcs2762 - there's
a typo in that article, though - it needs to be preferredredir instead of
prefrredredir.

Greetings,

Bernhard Friedrich
Uniklinikum Heidelberg