DataONTAP more sensitive to these types of issues?

Technically, what triggers this?

Any help would be much appreciated,
Re: backup troubles [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Nov 30, 2002 at 06:49:08PM -0700, Ambrose_Earle@shamrockfoods.com wrote:
> Does anyone else experience frequent backup failures?
>
> We have an F840 cluster and we use NetVault to perform ndmpd backups to an
> overland tape library. Many times we receive messages like
>
> Mon Nov 25 02:43:55 MST [filer: ispfc_main:error]: Tape (switch:0.1L3)
> hard media error: Sense_Key (3) ASC (c) ASCQ (0)

We've been fighting this problem on both F840 filers with Quantum ATL
L200 libraries attached for about a year now. We've replaced the
libraries, SCSI cables and terminators, and tapes. The problem would
go away, and then re-appear again. To the date, the jury is still out
on what is the culprit. It still could be the from with ONTAP or
filer hardware. Do you have a case open with NetApp on this?

Igor
Re: backup troubles [ In reply to ]
Ambrose_Earle@shamrockfoods.com wrote:

>Does anyone else experience frequent backup failures?
>
>We have an F840 cluster and we use NetVault to perform ndmpd backups to an
>overland tape library. Many times we receive messages like
>
>Mon Nov 25 02:43:55 MST [filer: ispfc_main:error]: Tape (switch:0.1L3)
>hard media error: Sense_Key (3) ASC (c) ASCQ (0)
>
>and the backup fails.
>
>Our same system is also used by a UNIX server and it never fails, so is
>DataONTAP more sensitive to these types of issues?
>
>Technically, what triggers this?
>
>Any help would be much appreciated,

By this time, we encounter strange problems impliying F85, Overland LXL
librairy, and the SCSI card QLogic inside the F85
we use to get some resetting device messages
- here it was a firmware problem on the Overland trying to deal with a
slightly defectuous Qlogic card (with Adaptec cards, there is no problem)
Also on another site, we got some inpredictable failure using an F810
filer, a NeoSerie Overland librairy and the Netvault software,
- here was a dumb cable problems, you have to understand that SCSI
cables are week and could be damaged rather quiclky; always keep some
SCSI cables appart and carfully put them on machines in order the cable
wont be to much twisted
- also, if the backup work well for at least a while, try to shake the
cable and see if the error appear at this time. If yes it definitely
demonstrate a cable failure.

hth ( = hope this helps)