P/N X1001B*
P/N X1001C

Quad-port 10Base-T/100Base-TX

P/N X1012B*
P/N X1012C

Does anyone know which network card (manufacturer, model) are those P/N for? Has anyone used succesfully any different network adapter not from NetApp for the NetCache C720 unit?

Thanks.

Oscar.
RE: Network Adapters for Netcache C720 [ In reply to ]
Oscar,

You'll need to look at the System Configuration Guide on now.netapp.com for
a C720 for the version of NetCache you are running to confirm compatability.
I just tried to look for you but that part of the site appears to be down at
the moment.

Having said that, I'm sure any of the adapters you listed will work just
fine, if what you are getting at is that you have those in stock and you're
not sure which one to use.

If you are suggesting using a non-NetApp adaptor, you need to look at the
chipset on the NetApp adapter and find another OEM card with the same
chipset. i.e. the X1001B is a common Znyx adapter.

However, there are two issues with doing this:

1) The firmware on your substitute adaptor may no be the same as the one
from NetApp, so it may not work correctly.
2) You will violate your NetApp hardware maintenance contract by using a
third-party product inside the box.

I do know that the NetApp X1025B gigabit ethernet adaptor is a stock
standard Intel Pro1000 which is fully interchangeable, i.e. you can use the
NetApp card in a Windows or Linux box and it will work just fine and the
regular Intel 8940PWL will work just fine in a Filer (at about a third of
the price you would have to pay NetApp for it!). We often use the original
Intel card in NetApp boxes in our test labs. However, issue (2) above still
applies, so we would never recommend any of our customers do this in a live
environment.

regards,

Alan McLachlan
Senior Systems Engineer