Things ran pretty well

I have a question regarding the -sa and -da options
is there a way not to type the root passwd in the command line
as is this cleartext and I do not want someone else
look at THIS on the filer console ?

Thanks
--
Frank Bonnet
Re: ndmpcopy -sa and -da options [ In reply to ]
In message <20021115162758.A25837@bart.esiee.fr> you wrote:
>is there a way not to type the root passwd in the command line
>as is this cleartext and I do not want someone else
>look at THIS on the filer console ?

Create a new user using filer "useradmin useradd", give the new user a
password, and then "ndmpd password" on that new user. What you see
will be usable for ndmp but not to log-in on the filer.

Example: I create the user "not_root" and get the special ndmp
password like this:

collin1> useradmin useradd -c "don't show root password" not_root
New password:
Retype new password:
User <not_root> added.
collin1> Fri Nov 15 16:47:25 GMT [rc:info]: User <not_root> added

collin1> ndmpd password not_root
password dWTIEwjulkykK8lp
collin1>

I can use "ndmpcopy -sa not_root:dWTIEwjulkykK8lp ..." to copy
something from this filer.

Although anybody seeing this "not_root:dWTIEwjulkykK8lp" will be able
to execute whatever NDMP operation s/he desires on THIS filer, this
password is not usable on other filers in the generic case. That is,
even if you create the same username on multiple filers, and give them
all the same password, the output of "ndmpd password not_root" will
usually differ.

hth,
--
Collin Park Not a statement of my employer.
Re: ndmpcopy -sa and -da options [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 04:27:58PM +0100, Frank Bonnet wrote:
> Hi
>
> Following my last post I used ndmpcopy to copy
> data from one filer to another one.
>
> Things ran pretty well
>
> I have a question regarding the -sa and -da options
> is there a way not to type the root passwd in the command line
> as is this cleartext and I do not want someone else
> look at THIS on the filer console ?

I was told that in 6.4 version there will be an option to submit
encrypted string for a password.

Igor
Re: ndmpcopy -sa and -da options [ In reply to ]
Please ignore my previous message; I spoke out of turn. Sorry about
that.

In message <200211151717.gAFHHZn8001038@collin-dlx.hq.netapp.com> I wrote:
>Create a new user using filer "useradmin useradd", give the new user a
>password, and then "ndmpd password" on that new user. What you see
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This option is not in 6.3 but may be in a future release.

>Collin Park Not a statement of my employer.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Really!
RE: ndmpcopy -sa and -da options [ In reply to ]
Frank,
Unfortunately at this time, there is no provision for this. If you would like to have more information about the availibility of this feature, please let me know...

Thanks,
Amol.

*Following my last post I used ndmpcopy to copy
*data from one filer to another one.
*
*Things ran pretty well
*
*I have a question regarding the -sa and -da options
*is there a way not to type the root passwd in the command line
*as is this cleartext and I do not want someone else
*look at THIS on the filer console ?
*
*Thanks
*--