shelves. To complicate things I am going to use SyncMirror to
mirror a couple of the more important volumes. Does anyone have any
experiences they would like to share having a similar setup? I
would particularly like to find the answer to the following:

1. Can disks in the same volume be spread over 2 disk pools?
2. Can disk spares be shared amongst disk pools?

many thanks

Matt
RE: Clustered F820's and SyncMirror [ In reply to ]
> From: Matt Musgrove [mailto:matt.musgrove@thales-is.com]
>
> I am about to implement a cluster of two F820's each with three DS14
> shelves. To complicate things I am going to use SyncMirror to
> mirror a couple of the more important volumes. Does anyone have any
> experiences they would like to share having a similar setup? I
> would particularly like to find the answer to the following:
>
> 1. Can disks in the same volume be spread over 2 disk pools?

Please don't do this. The reason there are two pools is so
that each of the plexes (copies) of the volume can be in a
separate pool for fault isolation. The pools are created
such that a loop or adapter failure cannot take out both plexes.

> 2. Can disk spares be shared amongst disk pools?

Normally spares are specific to a single pool. The exception
would be in the case where no spare is available in the same
pool as a failing disk AND the failing disk leaves the volume
in the position where another failure could lead to the loss
of the volume.
-Steve