netapps we have write to /etc/.broken_disks when a disk fails but they are
also running a more up to date version of ONTAP. Is it because of the older
version?
RE: netapp not writing disks to /etc/.broken_disks when they fail [ In reply to ]
Really?

I'm using 6.2.1R2 and have never been able to see
/etc/.broken_disks

I'm using an F740 and an F840

RE: netapp not writing disks to /etc/.broken_disks when they fail [ In reply to ]
I'm pretty sure /etc/.broken_disks was first in the
6.0 release. It is informational and not used to
re-fail disks on boot. In releases prior to 6.2
Data ONTAP attempted to write "broken" onto disks
that were failed. It doesn't make a lot of sense
to try to write to a disk that is broken. And so...

Starting with the 6.2 release the fact that a disk
has been failed is kept in the Failed Disk Registry
(FDR) and Data ONTAP no longer tries to write to
these disks. The FDR is kept outside of the
filesystem on a subset of the disks in the system.

-Steve