Mailing List Archive

qual_devices and ST173404FC
I installed 3rd party Seagate drives ST173404FC drives in my F720 filer
running Ontap 6.3. I updated the /etc/qual_devices with the one from the
website. However the filer still complains about these disks. It says:

Disk 8.8 ("SEAGATE ", "ST173404FCCereva", "FAD5") could not be qualified

Device qualification failure detected. Refer to the
qual_devices man page for information on updating device
qualification data. All devices MUST be qualified
for continued system operation.

Mon Oct 14 23:14:50 GMT [dyn_dev_qual_admin:error]: Device qualification failure detected.
Mon Oct 14 23:14:50 GMT [dyn_dev_qual_admin:info]: Firmware is up-to-date on all disk drives
Mon Oct 14 23:14:50 GMT [ses_update_admin:info]: All disk shelves have up-to-date firmware.

Can I edit the qual_devices and add a line for ST173404FCCereva? Because
it already has a line for ST173404FC which I thought would work fine with
these drives. Whatever 'Cereva' means I don't know, but the drives are
brand new and they don't say Cereva on the front. They say 'Model:
ST173404FC'. So I'm not sure why netapp is recognizing them differently.

Has anyone else been able to use 3rd party 72GB disks? Which
brand/model did you use. I've had no trouble before using 3rd party
ST19171FC disks. This is the first time I've ever seen anything like
this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve
Re: qual_devices and ST173404FC [ In reply to ]
I am pretty sure that third party disks are not usable. NetApp disks
contains a firmware that needs to operate and understand the WAFL system.
Note that your system will automagically shut down in 72 hours with the
continued use of the unqualified disk.

-- Clarence.

RE: qual_devices and ST173404FC [ In reply to ]
Hey Clarence,
Haven't seen you since NetApp training in Sydney, hope all is well.
You are definitely right. You are asking for trouble putting in unqualified
disks.

Now, has anybody got any clues on my NFS problems I posted?

Aaron Hill
Systems Engineer
Navitaire