then initialized six of the disks on the system, and made a new
filesystem, but it still thinks that it's a NetCache.

Has anyone run into this before? Any suggestions on how to change the
system back?

Thanks,
John
John Stoffel - Senior Unix Systems Administrator - Lucent Technologies
stoffel@lucent.com - http://www.lucent.com - 978-399-0479
Re: F740 thinks it's a C720, how to re-install? [ In reply to ]
IIRC, there's a magic prom setting that sets the personality of the box.
I'm quite certain its hidden though (undoubtedly to prevent users from
taking advantage of price disaparities). I'd love to know how it got that
way, but support should be able to reverse it for you.

On the subject, and bringing up an old one, has anyone ever tried using
the three internal slots on a "C700/C800" head as root volume disks for an
F700/F800?

..kg..

Re: F740 thinks it's a C720, how to re-install? [ In reply to ]
A quick update on my status here. Unfortunately the system is not
under maintenance with NetApp, though we are going to work on getting
back under that before we re-deploy this F740.

I've opened up the case, checked the part numbers and it's really an
F740. But even when I boot off the Diagnostics disk, it still insists
that it's an C720 and won't let me run DataOnTap as a NetApp properly.

I did do the following at the OK prompt:

unsetenv netcache?

But that did not seem to make a difference. Nor did re-flashing the
2.8a_2 firmware make any difference either.

Lots of fun, I'll play with this more tomorrow.

Thanks to the people who gave me the hint about the netcache? setting
in the PROM, it just didn't do much to help.