drives or 1 volume of 24, 72G drives. The filer is used as a cache for
storing radiology images. No backups are required and there are no snapshots
required either. I have two hot spares available.
Re: Volume sizes [ In reply to ]
My personal preference has always been to make the volume as large as
possible and manage it with qtrees. In your case you don't need backups
so qtrees (and therefore backups) are not an issue. For 72gb drives I
keep the raid groups at 10 drives, maybe 8 if you can afford the space.
This way you have one volume and stripe the data across all the drives,
but you're raid groups are smaller so if you lose a drive it can rebuild
faster.

Just my $.02

~JK

--
=====================
Jeff Kennedy
Re: Volume sizes [ In reply to ]
With DS14s, I usually use 9-drive raidgroups (9 x 3 == 27) plus one hot spare for
every two shelves. three 9-drive RG's in one volume give you usable space of
just shy of 1.5 Tb.

(dst /)218# rsh netapp6 vol status vol0
Volume State Status Options
vol0 online normal nosnap=on, nosnapdir=on,
raidsize=9

Plex /vol0/plex0: online, normal, active
RAID group /vol0/plex0/rg0: normal
RAID group /vol0/plex0/rg1: normal
RAID group /vol0/plex0/rg2: normal

(dst /)219# rsh netapp6 df
Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on
/vol/vol0/ 1503597776 646356280 857241496 43% /vol/vol0/
snap reserve 0 0 0 ---% /vol/vol0/..

-skottie

Haber, David J. wrote:
> I just added two DS14 shelves to an F840. I have 24 of the disks available
> for a new volume(s). Would it be better to create 2 volumes of 12, 72G
> drives or 1 volume of 24, 72G drives. The filer is used as a cache for
> storing radiology images. No backups are required and there are no snapshots
> required either. I have two hot spares available.

--

Scott Miller | Animation Technology
work: skottie@dreamworks.com | Dreamworks Feature Animation