We have to Solaris servers will run Oracle database. These two server will
have Veritas Server Clustering and also will need a set of DiskArray
attach to them. Veritas will control these disk as it own volume.

Thus I would like to know can Netapp filer get involve on what we tryning
to do? Or I just have to but DiskArray from Sun.

Any help would appreciated.

Thanks,

C-
Re: Question on netapp disk arrays? [ In reply to ]
Correct me if I'm wrong list, but one of the beauties of doing things
nfs is that multiple boxes can mount the same filesystem. In the setup
you describe you wouldn't need VxVM, just the cluster. Then if a box
fails the cluster software can move the file handles and away you go.
No need for VxVM to control the disks because it's already mounted on
the both boxes.

In fact, if you put a director in front of the 2 boxes you may not even
need the cluster software.

~JK

--
=====================
Jeff Kennedy
Re: Question on netapp disk arrays? [ In reply to ]
Hello,

Thank you alls.

Will push this ideas to the group.

Thanks again.

Vinh C-

Re: Question on netapp disk arrays? [ In reply to ]
Two choices

- mount your oracle database storage spaces via NFS. We're doing this
using Linux oracle servers via GigE. Its even a configuration
supported
by oracle.

- Look at the "fas" product line (fas940 & fas960). In NetApp's theme of
multi-protocol filers, the new "fas" line will add support for using
a filer to serve up raw disk chunks over fiber channel, SAN-style.

the 940 and 960 can be ordered now; not sure when the SAN attachment
features
will be available.

-skottie

--

Scott Miller | Animation Technology
work: skottie@dreamworks.com | Dreamworks Feature Animation
RE: Question on netapp disk arrays? [ In reply to ]
skottie -- exactly what is this fas940 and fas960? Is this a netapp product
that doesn't use
NFS? I see no mention of it on netapps site.

art

Re: Question on netapp disk arrays? [ In reply to ]
Art Hebert wrote:

> skottie -- exactly what is this fas940 and fas960? Is this a netapp product
> that doesn't use NFS? I see no mention of it on netapps site.

uh, pretend you didn't hear that. the 940 & 960 are the next
filer products. NetApp told me that they are a shipping product,
and they will give you quotes for 940 & 960 systems.

but it appears they haven't been fully announced yet ;-)

-skottie

RE: Question on netapp disk arrays? [ In reply to ]
It's not all that secret. The CEO talks about them in his interview
with E-Week. http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,3959,515656,00.asp

Steve Evans
(619) 594-0653