Mailing List Archive

informix on a filer
I know there has recently been a flurry of mails regarding Oracle on a
filer but is anyone running Informix on one? I ask because there are
alot of issues with the whole Informix/Onbar kludge that we are running
into in an effort to evaluate this.

Netapp has been involved in the preliminary discussions and will be in
the future as well but I wanted to get an idea from real people in the
real world as to the problems you solved and others you ran into.

Here's a primer of what we think are the benefits:

1) snapshots - much faster than tape backup, takes minimal disk space
2) snapmirror - easy DR
3) snaprestore - fast recovery from an archive (snapshot) for testing
and/or devel
4) snapvault - able to take snapshots every 5 minutes (avoid logical
logs altogether) and migrate them to R100, increased retention period
due to minimal space requirements
5) system recovery - data resides on filer so cpu becomes a FRU

Here are a couple of issues/questions regarding the above:

Can all Informix data (i.e., database, binaries, etc.) reside on nfs
leaving only system files on the cpu (i.e. system, services, vfstab)?
Can snapshots every 5 minutes really replace logical logs if 5 minutes
is an acceptable point-in-time recovery period?
Can snapshots be used to get a reliable backup without quiescing the
database?
In the event that logical logs are still required we would write them
to mirrored internal drives. Has anyone managed to write these logs to
nfs?

Thanks.
--
=====================
Jeff Kennedy
Re: informix on a filer [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 10:43:38AM -0700, Jeff Kennedy wrote:
> Can all Informix data (i.e., database, binaries, etc.) reside on nfs
> leaving only system files on the cpu (i.e. system, services, vfstab)?

Yes, that is what we do.

> Can snapshots every 5 minutes really replace logical logs if 5 minutes
> is an acceptable point-in-time recovery period?

Perhaps, but I'm not sure I would count on it.

> Can snapshots be used to get a reliable backup without quiescing the
> database?

During testing, our DBA tried restores from snapshots of an active
database, and they did work. However, when we went into production, we
decided to continue to quiesce the database before running our nightly
backups. Note that it only takes a few seconds to create a snapshot, so
the database is in this state for a very short period of time.

> In the event that logical logs are still required we would write them
> to mirrored internal drives. Has anyone managed to write these logs to
> nfs?

We haven't tried that.

--
Deron Johnson
djohnson@amgen.com
Re: informix on a filer [ In reply to ]
> > Can all Informix data (i.e., database, binaries, etc.) reside on nfs
> > leaving only system files on the cpu (i.e. system, services, vfstab)?
>
> Yes, that is what we do.

So what does reside on the server? Just the files I mentioned or do you
have more files specific to that system? I am really pushing this one
because I want to make a class in cfengine for informix servers.

> > Can snapshots be used to get a reliable backup without quiescing the
> > database?
>
> During testing, our DBA tried restores from snapshots of an active
> database, and they did work. However, when we went into production, we
> decided to continue to quiesce the database before running our nightly
> backups. Note that it only takes a few seconds to create a snapshot, so
> the database is in this state for a very short period of time.

Good to know. I think we'll probably do the same thing (test it just to
see if it works but then play it safe in production).

> > In the event that logical logs are still required we would write them
> > to mirrored internal drives. Has anyone managed to write these logs to
> > nfs?
>
> We haven't tried that.

Where do your logical logs go now then?

Thanks.

--
=====================
Jeff Kennedy
Re: informix on a filer [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 06:07:31PM -0700, Jeff Kennedy wrote:
> > > Can all Informix data (i.e., database, binaries, etc.) reside on nfs
> > > leaving only system files on the cpu (i.e. system, services, vfstab)?
> >
> > Yes, that is what we do.
>
> So what does reside on the server? Just the files I mentioned or do you
> have more files specific to that system? I am really pushing this one
> because I want to make a class in cfengine for informix servers.

All the Informix software stays on the filer. The only thing on local
disk it the OS stuff you mentioned.

> > > In the event that logical logs are still required we would write them
> > > to mirrored internal drives. Has anyone managed to write these logs to
> > > nfs?
> >
> > We haven't tried that.
>
> Where do your logical logs go now then?

We back them up using onbar with NetBackup. This was the way we were
doing it before we went to NetApp, and we essentially left it alone (for
now).

--
Deron Johnson
djohnson@amgen.com