Mailing List Archive

Multiple tape backups
We have been trying to solve a problem with NetApp and they
have not found a solution yet. We are using a Sun system
running Solaris with attached tape drives to backup a filer
remotely using the "dump" command. If you fill up a tape, it
will not go to the next tape in the Sun Autoloader and it fails.
We have been trying to use several different ways of putting
in the tape device to get it to continue to a second tape with
no luck. NetApp seams to be at a loss to how to do it as well.

Here are the commands we have tried: (issued from the Sun system "jaguar")
(/dev/rmt/2cn is the tape drive in the autoloader set to sequencial)

rsh landrover dump 0uf jaguar:/dev/rmt/2cn,/dev/rmt/2cn /vol/vol0/processes

rsh landrover dump 0uf jaguar:/dev/rmt/2cn,,jaguar:/dev/rmt/2cn /vol/vol0/processes

There are several others. If anyone has one that works for sure, please
let me know. Thanks.

Glenn Marsh Lattice Semiconductor Corporation
Unix Systems Administrator 5555 NE Moore Court
CAD Engineering Hillsboro, Oregon 97124
glenn.marsh@latticesemi.com 503-268-8000
503-268-8136 phone - 503-268-8459 fax
RE: Multiple tape backups [ In reply to ]
Hi Glenn,

Long time no speak...

List the drive more than once on the command line. An example line from our Perl based backup program:

$cmd = " rsh $HOST </dev/null 'dump ".$dump_level."ufb u$DRIVE,u$DRIVE,u$DRIVE,u$DRIVE,u$DRIVE,u$DRIVE,n$DRIVE 63 $dump_target' >$scratch.dump; ";

From the man pages:
----------------------

To make a level 0 dump of the entire file system of the root volume to a local tape drive (no rewind device, unit zero, highest density), with each tape file in the dump being less than 2 GB in size, without operator intervention, using a tape stacker, with four tape files written per tape, assuming that the dump requires no more than 10GB, use:

toaster> dump 0ufbB nrst0a,nrst0a,nrst0a,urst0a,rst0a 63 2097151 /

This will:

Write the first three files to the norewind device, so that they, and the next dump done after them, will appear consecutively on the tape.

Write the next file to the unload/reload device. This will cause the stacker to rewind and unload the tape after the file has been written and then load the next tape.

Write the last file to the rewind device, so that the tape will be rewound after the dump is complete.

Larry Breniser
Wilsonville Engineering Server Team
Mentor Graphics Corporation