Mailing List Archive

snapshot issue
Our webmaster, who gets email every day, reported this morning that her
inbox was missing all messages received after June 10. the inbox is in
a /var/mail filesystem mounted from a filer. Assuming that her inbox
had gotten corrupted since yesterday, I looked at the snapshots to find
one that had her recently received messages.

[/var/mail/.snapshot/hourly.0] ls -l mthomas

-rw-rw---- 1 mthomas mail 14482423 Aug 27 08:13 mthomas

[/var/mail/.snapshot/hourly.1] ls -l mthomas

-rw-rw---- 1 mthomas mail 14482423 Jun 10 12:21 mthomas

Note that the file from the hourly.1 snapshot appears to be the same
file as the one from the hourly.0 snapshot but it has a June 10 date.
All the other snapshots also have the June 10 date.

Has anyone seen anything like this with snapshots?
snapshot issue [ In reply to ]
Re: snapshot issue [ In reply to ]
Any time you want to tell the time a snapshot was created, use ls -lu.

/Brian/

--
Brian Long | | |
Americas IT Hosting Sys Admin | .|||. .|||.
Re: snapshot issue [ In reply to ]
--g7RIuht22685.1030474603/dangermouse--
RE: snapshot issue [ In reply to ]
Thanks to everyone who pointed out that ls -lu will show the time the
snapshot was created, but I already knew what time the snapshot was
created. The mystery is this: I know this file was modified every day
this week and had new email messages in it yesterday. Even if the file
was somehow replaced by an old file with a June 10 modification date,
shouldn't the nightly.0 snapshot still have yesterday's more current
version of the file?

RE: snapshot issue [ In reply to ]
--g7RKQEb23494.1030479974/dangermouse--
Re: snapshot issue [ In reply to ]
fahy@chapman.edu MIchael Fahy) writes:

> Thanks to everyone who pointed out that ls -lu will show the time the
> snapshot was created, but I already knew what time the snapshot was
> created. The mystery is this: I know this file was modified every day
> this week and had new email messages in it yesterday. Even if the file
> was somehow replaced by an old file with a June 10 modification date,
> shouldn't the nightly.0 snapshot still have yesterday's more current
> version of the file?

You are still looking only at the mtime's, which can be set arbitrarily
(and some MUAs do things like restoring the mtime on an inbox). Maybe
looking at the ctimes in the snapshots, i.e.

ls -lc /var/mail/.snapshot/*/mthomas"

will shed some light on whether the file was really being modified.

Chris Thompson
Email: cet1@cam.ac.uk
Re: snapshot issue [ In reply to ]
--g7RLpbh24479.1030485097/dangermouse--