Steve Evans
Computing Services
(619) 594-0653
Re: Multiple Subnet's [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, Steve Evans wrote:

> Right now I have my Filer 810 connected via a gigabit Ethernet to
> our main internal subnet. I'm thinking of taking one of the 100 bit
> ports and sticking that in the DMZ. The DMZ nic won't have any
> access at all to anything on our internal subnet. I'm thinking
> about doing this so our web server could store it's files on their
> easily. Could somebody comment on this idea.

I don't quite trust filers enough to be firewalls ;-), so we don't
do it that way here. Of course, this depends on how much security you
have around your internal network and DMZ. Our network infrastructure
"stack" looks like this:

-=={ Public network }==-
[ Public firewalls ]
[ Public-facing servers ]
-=={ Storage network }==-
[ Netapp filers ]
[ Private firewalls ]
-=={Internal network }==-
[ Internal servers and filers ]

Even with the new Multistore vfiler stuff, I wouldn't trust have a
filer bridge security zones. Physical separation still can't be beat
in a lot of cases.
--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@risc.org)