Mailing List Archive

I have 2 volumes in the same raid group, though the docs say you can't...
I have 7 disks in vol0 in raid group 0 and 2 disks in vol1 in raid group
0.

In the manual it seems to say you can't do this. Will this cause any
problems?

thanks

art
Re: I have 2 volumes in the same raid group, though the docs say you can't... [ In reply to ]
What manual and what page?
Your raid groups are in two separate volumes so the should have no affect
on eachother. Now if you had two raid groups in one volume and they
were set up like that you would have a major problem with performance because
the second raid group would not be striping (1 data and 1 parity if I read
you correctly) while the first raid group would strip nicely.
C-

On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 02:55:45PM -0700, Art Hebert wrote:

> I have 7 disks in vol0 in raid group 0 and 2 disks in vol1 in raid group
> 0.
>
> In the manual it seems to say you can't do this. Will this cause any
> problems?
>
> thanks
>
> art

* | *
* Chris Blackmor _______ | Good judgment comes from *
* Advanced Micro Devices \____ | | experience *
* Phone: (512) 602-1608 /| | | | And a lot of that comes *
* Fax: (512) 602-5155 | |___| | | from *
* Email: chris.blackmor@amd.com |____/ \| | bad judgment! *
* | Author Unknown*
* My comments are mine, and mine alone. *
Re: I have 2 volumes in the same raid group, though the docs say you can't... [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 05:43:21PM -0500, Chris Blackmor wrote:
> What manual and what page?
> Your raid groups are in two separate volumes so the should have no affect
> on eachother. Now if you had two raid groups in one volume and they
> were set up like that you would have a major problem with performance because
> the second raid group would not be striping (1 data and 1 parity if I read
> you correctly) while the first raid group would strip nicely.

Are you implying that unless the size of a raid group divides the number of
disks in volume, there's a performance degradation?

Igor
Re: I have 2 volumes in the same raid group, though the docs say you can't... [ In reply to ]
No... What I was implying that a volume with 2 raidgroups of such
disproportional sizes will reduce performance.

Maybe that is what you asked but I am not sure.
C-

On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 06:56:09PM -0400, Igor Schein wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 05:43:21PM -0500, Chris Blackmor wrote:
> > What manual and what page?
> > Your raid groups are in two separate volumes so the should have no affect
> > on eachother. Now if you had two raid groups in one volume and they
> > were set up like that you would have a major problem with performance because
> > the second raid group would not be striping (1 data and 1 parity if I read
> > you correctly) while the first raid group would strip nicely.
>
> Are you implying that unless the size of a raid group divides the number of
> disks in volume, there's a performance degradation?
>
> Igor

* | *