Mailing List Archive

[no subject]
Re: XDP v DP mirrors [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 01:56:05PM +0100, S. Eno via Toasters wrote:

> Has anyone seen benefits to using XDP mirrors? Faster? Slower?
> Better or worse network compression?

We've converted all our snapmirrors to XDP. It is slighltly slower
but the benefit of not having to worry about source/destination
versions is worth it for us since we have a bunch of clusters cross
mirroring different volumes and with DP we had to upgrade a dozen
clusters at the same in order to not break snapmirror.

John
Re: XDP v DP mirrors [ In reply to ]
You should notice less performance impact on the source and as little bit more on the destination. After the update transfer there are some housekeeping steps that post process on the destination which uses resources.

Typing errors courtesy of GBoard

Tim McCarthy, Principal Consultant

Proud Member of the NetApp ATeam

________________________________

[no subject] [ In reply to ]
Re: XDP v DP mirrors [ In reply to ]
Xdp is more of a logical copy and dp is physical

Re: XDP v DP mirrors [ In reply to ]
Greetings,

I'd heard rumors of issues in high file count environments -- the
recommendation was not to go there yet. Does anyone have more information
about this?

Re: XDP v DP mirrors [ In reply to ]
well, considering DP was deprecated in 9.3 for regular mirrors and then in
9.5 for SVM-DR, not sure how much longer DP will be around.

--tmac

*Tim McCarthy, **Principal Consultant*

*Proud Member of the #NetAppATeam <https://twitter.com/NetAppATeam>*

*I Blog at TMACsRack <https://tmacsrack.wordpress.com/>*