Mailing List Archive

Hide Snapshots from NFS clients
Hi All,

I'm teaching a SMB/NFS combo at the moment, and the question again came
up, how to hide ".snapshot" from NFS users/scripts (like in the 7-Mode
days).

In the Man Pages I found

*[ -v3-hide-snapshot {enabled|disabled} ] - Hide Snapshot Directory
under NFSv3 Mount Point*
This optional parameter specifies whether to hide the .snapshot
directory while listing under NFSv3 mount
points. However an explicit access to the .snapshot directory will
still be allowed even though the option is
enabled. The default setting is disabled at the time of creation.

(I checked, it's not in 9.4)

Greetings from Munich

Sebastian

NAI (NetApp Instructor)

Jeremy asked Feb 5, 2016:

In 7-mode we are able to make snapshots accessible, but invisible to
NFSv3 clients.

In this mode there is a .snapshot directory, but if you ‘ls’ that
directory it appears empty. However, if you ls .snapshot/hourly.0
say then you can see that the snapshot is in fact there.

We now have an 8.3.1 CDOT filer and have not been able to work out
how to reproduce the behaviour. The snapshots are either accessible
and visible (which causes problems for programs which walk the tree)
or not accessible at all.…
RE: Hide Snapshots from NFS clients [ In reply to ]
It’s in 9.5:

aff::*> version
NetApp Release 9.5: Thu Dec 13 16:18:04 UTC 2018

aff::*> nfs modify -v3-hide-snapshot
enabled disabled

Not sure about 9.4. Did you go into diag/advanced mode?

Re: Hide Snapshots from NFS clients [ In reply to ]
Yep it is, I just discovered it...

But *it's not mentioned in the Release Notes, *despite being something
many people have asked for for a long time...

I''ll fire up my 9.4 sim and will check Diag Mode. It's probably not in
Advanced Mode, since it's not mentioned in the 9.4 Man Pages (and they
DO contain Advanced Mode stuff...)

Sebastian

Re: Hide Snapshots from NFS clients [ In reply to ]
Hi Justin,

I just checked: 9.4 even in Diag Mode doesn't have the -v3-hide-snapshot
parameter.

Sebastian