Mailing List Archive

3.5" 15KRPM -vs- 2.5" 10KRPM SAS
Hello,
I have AGGRs made out of 3.5" 15KRPM SAS drives. One of these drives
failed, and NetApp sent a 2.5" 10KRPM SAS drive in a 3.5 sled as
replacement.

After asking about this, they said:

After investigating, the following were my findings:

"As part of the NetApp qualification process, there is no performance
degradation with the qualified X90-412B-R6 / SP-412B-R6 10K RPM drive as
the seek distances are reduced to be equal to a full stroke 15K RPM drive."

As for the physical size difference:

"The only difference is that the 412A is a 3.5 inch HDD while the 412B is a
2.5 inch HDD. The difference in size is negated by a bracket within the
carrier assembly in the 412B. So while the two HDD’s look different, the
412B is fully compatible with the 412A."

So what's your take on this? The "don't mix 10K and 15K drives in the same
aggr" keeps ringing away in my head.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Re: 3.5" 15KRPM -vs- 2.5" 10KRPM SAS [ In reply to ]
The rotational latency is also somewhat negated as the platters are also smaller.

The decrease in physical size from 3.5 to 2.5 offsets some of the 15k to 10k difference.

There are lots of write-ups about 2.5 10k vs 3.5 10k drives.

Spelling errors courtesy of Swype for iOS...

Tim McCarthy, Consultant at Presidio

Re: 3.5" 15KRPM -vs- 2.5" 10KRPM SAS [ In reply to ]
I think it?s time for a lab experiment with hybrid aggregates of different speeds. Maybe there?s a way to mix in some 7.2k drives for fun.

.