Mailing List Archive

Max number of packets per second for a port scan
Hello,

I use Nessus 3.0.6.1 at winXP PRO SP2. What is the recommend Max number of packets per second for a port scanMax number of packets per second for a port scan? 500 or 50? Which option should I use to avoid Nessus scans on Windows XP with potentially false results? Greets Simon
Messenger Online Treff: Spontan chatten, über Hobbies reden, sofort Spass haben? Jetzt klicken!
http://redirect.gimas.net/?n=M0811xMOTDE
Re: Max number of packets per second for a port scan [ In reply to ]
MALTE SIMON wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I use Nessus 3.0.6.1 at winXP PRO SP2. What is the recommend Max number of packets per second for a port scanMax number of packets per second for a port scan? 500 or 50? Which option should I use to avoid Nessus scans on Windows XP with potentially false results? Greets Simon

Aside from the limitations in your immediate physical network (Ethernet,
100Mb, Wireless, .etc) we don't really have a recommended limit. You
will find port scanning most networks very different. Different combinations
of network devices and topologies will have very different performance
characteristics.

Having said that, you should perform your scan with the defaults and then
make changes to your scan once you have a baseline.

Ron Gula
Tenable Network Security