Mailing List Archive

Installation error on Windows XP, SP2
Logged in as Administrator
Running Windows XP, SP2
New Nessus Install - version 3.2.1.1
Error: 1920. Service Tenable Nessus (Tenable Nessus) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

Checked the Event log - no error other than the one above - service just shows to start and then stop  no other errors.

Re: Installation error on Windows XP, SP2 [ In reply to ]
Catherine Ward wrote:
> Logged in as Administrator
> Running Windows XP, SP2
> New Nessus Install - version 3.2.1.1
> Error: 1920. Service Tenable Nessus (Tenable Nessus) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.
>
> Checked the Event log - no error other than the one above - service just shows to start and then stop no other errors.

Hi Catherine,

You should look at your logs for Nessus which will be in:

C:\Program Files\Tenable\Nessus\logs

We have 1000s of downloads for Nessus 3.2.1.1 every day and have not had
reports of bad installs on XP SP2 systems.

Is there anything odd about the system such as low disk space, low
memory, an aggressive anti-virus solution, .etc? If this is XP Pro and
not XP, I'm curious if you installed as an admin? I've seen some XP
Pro domains where the user policy did not have enough privileges to
do an installation.

Ron Gula
Tenable Network Security