Mailing List Archive

VNC Vulnerability Rating
When I scan a server now (Microsoft Server running Nessus 3.2.1.347 and
plugins downloaded today, I received a error in total "Medium" rated
vulnerabilities.

The count at the top of the report will reflect the following as a
"Medium" vulnerability when it is marked as "Risk Factor: None" I agree
it is a known risk and we are moving to a more secure application for
remote management. But why count and yellow flag if it has been
downgraded and if not downgraded why not mark it as "Risk Factor:
Medium"?

Thanks

Check for VNC HTTP

Synopsis :

The remote host is running a remote display software (VNC).

Description :

The remote host is running VNC (Virtual Network Computing), which uses
the RFB (Remote Framebuffer) protocol to provide remote access to
graphical user interfaces and thus permits a console on the remote
host to be displayed on another.

See also :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vnc <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vnc>

Solution :

Make sure use of this software is done in accordance with your
organization's security policy and filter incoming traffic to this
port.

Risk factor :

None

Nessus ID : 10758
<http://www.nessus.org/plugins/index.php?view=single&id=10758>

Robert A. "Bob" Schommer

Audit & Security Officer

Bway Corporation

Desk 770-645-4882

Cell 404-769-1966

bob.schommer@bwaycorp.com
Re: VNC Vulnerability Rating [ In reply to ]
On Oct 27, 2008, at 2:39 PM, Bob Schommer wrote:

> When I scan a server now (Microsoft Server running Nessus 3.2.1.347
> and plugins downloaded today, I received a error in total “Medium”
> rated vulnerabilities.
>
> The count at the top of the report will reflect the following as a
> “Medium” vulnerability when it is marked as “Risk Factor: None”

I've just committed a change to the plugin so it is reported as a Note
rather than a warning. The new version should be available through the
plugin feed in a couple of hours. Thanks for pointing out the
discrepancy.

George
--
theall@tenablesecurity.com