value_type: POLICY_DWORD
value_data: "1"
reg_key: "HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Excel\Security\FileOpenBlock\"
reg_item: "HtmlandXmlssFiles"
</item>

Thanks --John
--
"When the legend becomes fact, print the legend."
Re: .audit code question [ In reply to ]
John,

The syntax looks fine at a glance, however, it usually makes sense to query from HKLM and not HKCU whenever possible because of the transient
nature of HKCU.

jfvanmeter@comcast.net wrote:
> Hello Everyone, does anyone see anything wrong with the below or anything that I should add.
>
> I just want the test to check the regkey and pass it the value_data matches or fail it it doesn't.
>
> <custom_item>
> type: REGISTRY_SETTING
> value_type: POLICY_DWORD
> value_data: "1"
> reg_key: "HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Excel\Security\FileOpenBlock\"
> reg_item: "HtmlandXmlssFiles"
> </item>
>
> Thanks --John
> --
> "When the legend becomes fact, print the legend."

Best Regards,

Paul Davis
Research Engineer
Tenable Network Security Inc
Phone: 410.872.0555 x245
www.tenablesecurity.com

Is your network TENABLE?
Re: .audit code question [ In reply to ]
Thanks Paul, the settings are defined under hkcu so I'm stuck quering that path.

--
"When the legend becomes fact, print the legend."

From: Paul Davis <pdavis@tenablesecurity.com>

Re: .audit code question [ In reply to ]
Is there a length limit to the description field?

--
"When the legend becomes fact, print the legend."

From: jfvanmeter@comcast.net

Re: .audit code question [ In reply to ]
John,

While the description field can be quite long, for readability purposes, the best way to handle long description fields is to take advantage of
"INFO" tags:

e.g.

info: "CCE-1543 - Excel 2007"
info: "Test of HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Excel\Security\FileOpenBlock\HtmlandXmlssFiles"
info: "Policy DWORD value should be 1"

This allows you to add multiple lines of descriptive text if needed.

I hope this helps!

Paul

RE: .audit code question [ In reply to ]
Thank you Paul