Mailing List Archive

Sorting Nessus Reports
Hello All,

We have run a scan on < 200 boxes for a list of all local admin users.

Does anyone know how I could just get the raw data dumped into an excel
or list format I.E.:

* NODE NAME

* ADMIN ACCOUNT NAME
* ADMIN ACCOUNT NAME 2
* ADMIN GROUP
* ADMIN ETC...

* NODE NAME 2

* ADMIN ACCOUNT NAME
* ADMIN ACCOUNT NAME 2
* ADMIN GROUP
* ADMIN ETC...

* NODE NAME 3

* ADMIN ACCOUNT NAME
* ADMIN ACCOUNT NAME 2
* ADMIN GROUP
* ADMIN ETC...

The report looks pretty but it is not all that functional (additionally,
about a month ago I had posted that I found the Nessus client limiting,
this would be one reason).

Regards,

Steven Moore
Enterprise Security Unit
Information Systems and Services Division
Orange County Government, Florida
Re: Sorting Nessus Reports [ In reply to ]
I may have missed your prior emails about the formatting, and this may have
been recommended before (if so sorry). But, with the raw report, you should
be able to convert to any format with a simple parser (written in perl, any
scripting your used to - could probably get away with a bash script).

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 1:19 PM, <Steven.Moore@ocfl.net> wrote:

> Hello All,
>

> We have run a scan on < 200 boxes for a list of all local admin users.
>

> Does anyone know how I could just get the raw data dumped into an excel or
> list format I.E.:
>

> - NODE NAME
> - ADMIN ACCOUNT NAME
> - ADMIN ACCOUNT NAME 2
> - ADMIN GROUP
> - ADMIN ETC…
> - NODE NAME 2
> - ADMIN ACCOUNT NAME
> - ADMIN ACCOUNT NAME 2
> - ADMIN GROUP
> - ADMIN ETC…
> - NODE NAME 3
> - ADMIN ACCOUNT NAME
> - ADMIN ACCOUNT NAME 2
> - ADMIN GROUP
> - ADMIN ETC…
>
> …
>

> The report looks pretty but it is not all that functional (additionally,
> about a month ago I had posted that I found the Nessus client limiting, this
> would be one reason).
>

> Regards,
>

> *Steven Moore*
> Enterprise Security Unit
> Information Systems and Services Division
> Orange County Government, Florida

..::x0SiN0x::..
G4m3R 4 L1F3
RE: Sorting Nessus Reports [ In reply to ]
I actually just figured out to export into a NSR/NSB (I'm presuming
that's what you mean by raw?).

This honestly would be a nice feature to have built into the
NessusClient be default, however, this now does make it manageable.

Thanks,

Steven Moore
Enterprise Security Unit
Information Systems and Services Division
Orange County Government, Florida
(407) 836-0905
Steven.Moore@ocfl.net

Re: Sorting Nessus Reports [ In reply to ]
Yes, I actually use the NBE format which has worked well for me (other
formats should be just as simple to process). Parsing the data isn't too
hard, there are actually many examples online as well - I've had to do
similar things with parsing data to other formats for reporting purposes and
now just export all of it to a backend database that I can query for what I
need (even then, some output needs post processing).

not perfect, manageble yes. The standard format types help add flexability
to what can be done later though.