Tim Doty
Systems Security Analyst
Missouri S&T
Re: FireFox3 annoyances [ In reply to ]
I've used wget and links on occasion. even telnetted to the port once. some
of those are very hard to verify, to be honest.

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 3:00 PM, Doty, Timothy T. <tdoty@mst.edu> wrote:

> I was just trying to verify a vulnerability identified by nessus that
> involved a web server and pasting the reported URL into FireFox3 gave no
> result. I noticed that it also collapsed the URL (the vulnerability
> involves
> directory back references). Using IE verified the result. Just thought I
> would mention the need to be careful as to the tool used to verify...
>
> Tim Doty
> Systems Security Analyst
> Missouri S&T

Doug Nordwall
Unix, Network, and Security Administrator
on MMORPGs
Re: FireFox3 annoyances [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 17:00:03 -0500
"Doty, Timothy T." <tdoty@mst.edu> wrote:

> I was just trying to verify a vulnerability identified by nessus that
> involved a web server and pasting the reported URL into FireFox3 gave
> no result. I noticed that it also collapsed the URL (the
> vulnerability involves directory back references). Using IE verified
> the result.

Firefox 2 on Linux collapses ../../.. too.
This is common. IE collapses some forms of directory traversal too.
You may try different browsers; GET from libwww-perl is probably
more reliable. See http://search.cpan.org/~gaas/libwww-perl-5.814/

In some cases, Nessus' build_url() function must add a / at
the beginning of the query string to get a syntactically correct URL.
e.g. if flaw appears when the web server receives "..\..\boot.ini",
Nessus will report "http://host/..\..\boot.init"
If you click on that, your browser (or GET from libwww-perl) will send
"/..\..\boot.ini" which might not work as expected. To reproduce the
flaw, you'll have to run
echo -ne 'GET ..\..\boot.ini HTTP/1.1\r\nHost: host\r\n\r\n' |
netcat ip 80