identified OS as HP-UX 9.0.5. This generates a "critical" error as
HP-UX 9.0.5 is no longer a supported OS. My question is why is Nessus
identifying more than one OS and why specifically is it reporting HP-UX
9.0.5? For instance: it correctly identifies a Cisco 11.3 OS for a
router, then identifies it as HP-UX 9.0.5. I've seen it do this for the
following: Most Cisco routers and switches, AIX 5.2, Checkpoint
firewalls
In my "general" scan, I use most plugins (but not DOS). Any ideas?
Re: More than one OS Identified: correct one and HP-UX 9.05 [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 13 August 2008 17:34:40 Mogren, Jack L. wrote:
> Problem: I run scans of about 80 devices on a monthly basis. This
> month, for many machines Nessus is reporting more than one OS,
> specifically it is reporting the correct OS and then also reporting the
> identified OS as HP-UX 9.0.5.

Could you send me the report (just the part about the OS identification)?
And if possible, the extract of the KB (grep "Host/OS/")

> This generates a "critical" error as HP-UX 9.0.5 is no longer a supported
> OS.

This other plugin is supposed to ignore the result of the recognition if
the "confidence" is too low. I'll fix that.

> My question is why is Nessus identifying more than one OS

Because the method which it used cannot distinguish two close versions of the
same OS, probably (just guessing)