Mailing List Archive

Nessus scan DoS
I have brought down many more servers this month than I ever did in the past even though I had disabled DoS. What went wrong? Thank you.

YanYan
Re: Nessus scan DoS [ In reply to ]
On Jul 30, 2008, at 11:15 AM, Yanyan Wang wrote:

> I have brought down many more servers this month than I ever did in
> the past even though I had disabled DoS. What went wrong? Thank you.

One possible problem is that you're enabling Thorough tests (under the
'Global variable settings' drop-down menu on the 'Advanced' tab). This
causes Nessus to try running many of the service detection plugins
against all open ports, not just those on the associated well-known
service port.

George
--
theall@tenablesecurity.com

Re: Nessus scan DoS [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 30 July 2008 17:15:59 Yanyan Wang wrote:
> I have brought down many more servers this month than I ever did in the
> past even though I had disabled DoS. What went wrong? Thank you.

I noticed that you enable "thorough tests".They might be intrusive.
Re: Nessus scan DoS [ In reply to ]
Is it possible that it was caused by web mirroring?

Re: Nessus scan DoS [ In reply to ]
On Jul 30, 2008, at 12:17 PM, Yanyan Wang wrote:

> Is it possible that it was caused by web mirroring?

It's hard to say given the information you provided. But enabling
Thorough tests has been known to cause some services to crash when
they receive unexpected data.

George
--
theall@tenablesecurity.com

RE: Nessus scan DoS [ In reply to ]
I'll second that. Especially on Citrix servers. Turn it off on scans
of production networks.

Re: Nessus scan DoS [ In reply to ]
Deselecting thorough test had done the trick. Thanks.

I have another questions. After I deselected thorough test, the scan did not return any vulnerabilities other than track route. Eventually I deselected test Oracle default account, and the scan found the vulnerabilities. What could be the reason for that? Thanks.

YanYan

Re: Nessus scan DoS [ In reply to ]
On Aug 6, 2008, at 12:26 AM, Yanyan Wang wrote:

> I have another questions. After I deselected thorough test, the scan
> did not return any vulnerabilities other than track route.
> Eventually I deselected test Oracle default account, and the scan
> found the vulnerabilities. What could be the reason for that? Thanks.

It's hard to say. What plugins are you trying to run? How was the scan
configured? Does the Nessus server log have anything interesting from
the earlier scans?

George
--
theall@tenablesecurity.com