Hello everyone, my client has a direct feed and I was wondering if there are any preconfiguration audit files, to run a NIST check against a SQL server? if there are, are they downloaded with the plug in feed? or do they need to be downloaded seperately

Thanks

Take Care and Have Fun --John
Re: .Audit file question [ In reply to ]
jfvanmeter@comcast.net wrote:
> Hello everyone, my client has a direct feed and I was wondering if there are any preconfiguration audit files, to run a NIST check against a SQL server? if there are, are they downloaded with the plug in feed? or do they need to be downloaded seperately

The current NIST .audit files are available under the Tenable support
portal. There is a blog entry about it here:

http://blog.tenablesecurity.com/2007/04/nist_audit_poli.html

The audit policies are for XP Pro and 2003, not MS SQL. We have not
published any .audit files for MS SQL server auditing yet. NIST has not
published any guidence on hardenign MS SQL through their SCAP program
yet which is listed here:

http://nvd.nist.gov/scap/content.cfm

Ron Gula, CTO
Tenable Network Security

Re: .Audit file question [ In reply to ]
Thank You, I just wanted to check, I've been very busy lately and I was afraid I might have missed them

Thank You
Take Care and Have Fun --John

From: Ron Gula <rgula@tenablesecurity.com>

Re: .audit file question [ In reply to ]
John,

We don't support registry.pol files with the i2a tool (or any other tool). Depending upon your Windows versions, you may want to look at using
i2a with Security templates or possibly some of our support site audit files as guides..

jfvanmeter@comcast.net wrote:
> Hello every,
>
> I was hoping to use Nessus, and a .audit file to verify wither settings contained in a GPO are being applied.
>
> Most of the settings are contained in the registry.pol file, is there a utility like i2a that will convert the settings in the *.pol file into a .audit file?
>
> --
> "When the legend becomes fact, print the legend."

Best Regards,

Paul Davis
Research Engineer
Tenable Network Security Inc
Phone: 410.872.0555 x245
www.tenablesecurity.com

Is your network TENABLE?
Re: .audit file question [ In reply to ]
THanks Paul, I

--
"When the legend becomes fact, print the legend."

From: Paul Davis <pdavis@tenablesecurity.com>

RE: .audit file question [ In reply to ]
Has the method of checking for patches/updates changed for Linux
(specifically Red Hat)? Starting in August, our monthly patch scans
showed a ridiculously low number of vulnerabilities: 1 missing patch
(total) across 140 Linux servers. Our most recent patch scan ran this
past Saturday with the same results, yet running 'up2date --dry-run' on
4 randomly-chosen servers showed between 10 and 12 missing patches on
all four hosts. Most of the patches were released slightly less than
one month ago (since our last maintenance window, which is when we patch
our production systems).

I can send the nessusrc file and/or KB for the sample hosts privately.

John Scherff
24 Hour Fitness

"When the legend becomes fact, print the legend."

From: Paul Davis <pdavis@tenablesecurity.com>