Mailing List Archive

Possible problems in netbios_name_get.nasl???
We're having problems running local security checks against a few of our
Windows servers. This is only affecting about 8 out of 160 servers.

The common thread seems to be that if nbtstat -a <server> returns
"INet~Services <1C> GROUP Registered" as the first entry in the
netbios name table, smb_login.nasl (or something) tries to login with the
domain of INet~Services instead of the defined domain name. It should be
using the Group entry of type <00>, regardless of the location in the name
table.

This seemed to start about a week ago. I notice that netbios_name_get.nasl
was completely rewritten around then.

If I run a scan against one of these servers with the current
netbios_name_get.nasl the logins fail. I used the previous version, and it
was successful.

I hope this is enough information to determine what the problem is with
netbios_name_get.nasl. If not, let me know and I'll try to help in any way
I can.

Jerry Heidtke