Mailing List Archive

RAND_status in ssl
Hello Renaud,
Sorry for the repast.Can You give your comments
on the following issue. Please correct,if I am on the
wron path.

I came across that RAND_status (which tells whether
PRNG has been seeded with enough data) been looking at
the libssl libary instead of looking of libcrypto.sl.
Although nessus-libraries complains no error while
configure, I still doubt that it should be the other
way (should search at libcrypto.sl). Anyway, I am able
to compile and build nessus succesfully.

Snippets from executing configure script......

Enabling OpenSSL support in /opt/openssl
checking for RAND_status in -lssl... yes

Looking at configure script, where RAND_status is
being called,

Snippets from configure script......

echo $ac_n "checking for RAND_status in -lssl""...
$ac_c" 1>&6
echo "configure:5952: checking for RAND_status in
-lssl" >&5
ac_lib_var=`echo ssl'_'RAND_status | sed
'y%./+-%__p_%'`
if eval "test \"`echo
'$''{'ac_cv_lib_$ac_lib_var'+set}'`\" = set"; then
echo $ac_n "(cached) $ac_c" 1>&6
else
ac_save_LIBS="$LIBS"
LIBS="-lssl $LIBS"

I checked the ssl libraries, RAND_status have been
defined only in the libcryto.sl.and not in libssl.sl.
But nessus-libraries configure script searches
RAND_status in libssl.sl (that can be identified by
above LIBS flag value in
cofigure script).

Results of testing ssl libraries with strings command:
[root@SYS-CO1 lib]# strings libcrypto.so.0.9.6 | grep
RAND_status
RAND_status

[root@SYS-CO1 lib]# strings libssl.so.0.9.6 | grep
RAND_status
[root@SYS-CO1 lib]#

[root@SYS-CO1 lib]# strings libcrypto.a | grep
RAND_status
RAND_status
RAND_status
RAND_status

[root@SYS-CO1 lib]# strings libssl.a | grep
RAND_status
[root@SYS-CO1 lib]#
So, since configure script searches RAND_status
in libssl, should return value "0", and tell that it
could not find the function. But the other thing is
happending as no errors are found in config.log.

Can anyone in this list could provide more
information on this. Plz also correct if I am going in
wrong way.

--
Senthil Prabu.S