P.S. I'm looking at the nessus 2.0.8 code.

Thanks
Erik
Re: Whisker Research [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 10:50:05AM -0700, Erik Stephens wrote:
> Make no404.nasl store something in the kb when it gets 403 return
> codes. It would have to be a separate key so as to not interfere
> with existing plugins that depend on no404.nasl.

This would be good. Actually webmirror.nasl stores
www/<port>/password_protected if it only get 403 error codes. I found
some web servers which would wait 5 seconds before giving you a reply
when a page is forbidden, and I'm wondering if it would make sense to
disable ALL web checks when we meet such a server.

-- Renaud
Re: Whisker Research [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, Renaud Deraison wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 10:50:05AM -0700, Erik Stephens wrote:
> > Make no404.nasl store something in the kb when it gets 403 return
> > codes. It would have to be a separate key so as to not interfere
> > with existing plugins that depend on no404.nasl.
>
> This would be good. Actually webmirror.nasl stores
> www/<port>/password_protected if it only get 403 error codes. I found
> some web servers which would wait 5 seconds before giving you a reply
> when a page is forbidden, and I'm wondering if it would make sense to
> disable ALL web checks when we meet such a server.

While getting my patches tested I noticed a CVS log message indicating
that whisker will be removed in favor of nikto only. This sounds like
a good idea. How can I tell what version of nessus those changes will
be released under? Thanks.

Best regards,
Erik Stephens www.edgeos.com
Managed Vulnerability Assessment Services
Re: Whisker Research [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Nov 10, 2003 at 12:33:36PM -0700, Erik Stephens wrote:
> > This would be good. Actually webmirror.nasl stores
> > www/<port>/password_protected if it only get 403 error codes. I found
> > some web servers which would wait 5 seconds before giving you a reply
> > when a page is forbidden, and I'm wondering if it would make sense to
> > disable ALL web checks when we meet such a server.
>
> While getting my patches tested I noticed a CVS log message indicating
> that whisker will be removed in favor of nikto only. This sounds like
> a good idea. How can I tell what version of nessus those changes will
> be released under? Thanks.

In the new releases. So 2.0.10 and 2.1.0 when they are out.

-- Renaud
Re: Whisker Research [ In reply to ]
Erik Stephens <erik@edgeos.com> writes:

> We are noticing that the whisker plugin (ID=10845) has been the main
> source of false positive CGI abuses.

I solved the problem simply: as Whisker is supposed to be obsolete, I
removed the plugin from the CVS tree.