Mailing List Archive

[2.0.1] ftp_root.nasl problem + possible fix
Hi,

Again, hopefully this is the correct group for this, but I have run into a
problem with ftp_root.nasl, and the only way I found to fix it was as
follows:

In case you don't know, ftp_root.nasl checks whether a user has write access
to the root dir of an anonymous FTP server.

Anyway, despite having set up several different test FTP servers with this
vuln (linux & solaris), this rule never fired for me. After debugging, I
was able to figure out that the offending line was:

pasv = ftp_get_pasv_port(socket:soc);

Prior to commenting this line out, the revc_line fcn 3 lines down always
returned nada. Commenting the pasv line out made everything work for me -
all we want is the 425 or 150, which should be sent prior to the PORT
command being sent (it seems to at least) so I don't see why it was
necessary to put the script into passive mode.

Brian