Mailing List Archive

Nessus 2.1.3 released
I am pleased to announce the availability of Nessus 2.1.3.

Nessus 2.1.3 has now been upgraded to the 'beta' status, if this release goes
well bug-wise, I'll probably release Nessus 2.2.0 (officially stable)
in a week or two - so please test it extensively and let me know your results.

As you probably already know, Nessus 2.1 gives to Nessus the ability to
perform local security checks against remote hosts over SSH, provided you
give it a key pair and a username to log into the remote servers.

Local security checks can be done against the following platforms:

- AIX
- Fedora
- FreeBSD
- Gentoo
- MacOS X
- Mandrake
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux
- Solaris
- SuSE Linux
- Microsoft Windows

Please read <http://www.nessus.org/doc/nessus_ssh_local.html> for more details.

On a more technical side, Nessus 2.1.x sports a complete rewrite of the
way the processes communicate between each other, thus making several
nessusd processes less CPU intensive and paving the way for more collaboration
between scripts. It also introduces the concept of "trusted nasl scripts",
a small set of scripts which can execute local commands or store KB data
in a separate location. The NASL language has also been extended with
new functions and some syntax changes that we'll probably use over time.

At this point, I consider Nessus 2.1.3 as being stable and bug-free, and
I'm releasing it to confirm my assumption. If you can test it, please
report :

- If the package compiles at all on your system
- If you can get the SSH plugins to log into remote hosts
- If you feel that nessusd is faster or slower than Nessus 2.0.x
- If you feel that nessusd is using more or less CPU than Nessus 2.0.x

Nessus 2.1.3 is available at :

http://ftp.nessus.org/nessus/src/nessus-2.1.3/

Thanks,
-- Renaud