Mailing List Archive

Just got on this thing (perhaps very belatedly) - root server trouble?
Re: Just got on this thing (perhaps very belatedly) - root server trouble? [ In reply to ]

On Mon, 17 Feb 1997 17:35:15 -0600 (CST), karl@mcs.net writes:

>We've been running on eDNS now for something like seven months, and have
>had ZERO operational incidents recorded by our NOC which have been related
>to root server failures or problems.

Somehow, I'm not impressed. Say, shouldn't the inability of any AOL customers
to send email to user@domain.audio be considered an operational problem?
And shouldn't "root servers" have recursive queries turned off?:

; <<>> DiG 8.1 <<>> @192.160.127.86 worf.netins.net
; (1 server found)
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 3, ADDITIONAL: 3
;; QUERY SECTION:
;; worf.netins.net, type = A, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
worf.netins.net. 21h38m10s IN A 167.142.225.4

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
NETINS.NET. 1d1h56m48s IN NS NS.MCI.NET.
NETINS.NET. 1d1h56m48s IN NS NS2.NETINS.NET.
NETINS.NET. 1d1h56m48s IN NS NS1.NETINS.NET.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
NS.MCI.NET. 9h26m20s IN A 204.70.128.1
NS2.NETINS.NET. 20h24m56s IN A 167.142.225.6
NS1.NETINS.NET. 1d10h22m52s IN A 167.142.225.5

;; Total query time: 5097 msec
;; FROM: vis-admin.dmacc.cc.ia.us to SERVER: 192.160.127.86
;; WHEN: Mon Feb 17 18:51:56 1997
;; MSG SIZE sent: 33 rcvd: 164

And what happens if usage of the eDNS root servers goes up? The eDNS
root servers don't appear to be very well situated network-wise,
either. It looks like all of them are in North America. The IANA has
at least one non-North American root server (i.root-servers.net).

>Give it a shot folks. I know lots of you have political dislikes for the
>eDNS concept and implementation, but if your nameservice is unreliable now,
>having trouble, and you can *FIX IT* for your customers by using eDNS
>instead, isn't finding and using a better mousetrap what your customers
>all pay for you?

Some fix.

>Think about it!

[A copy of the headers and the PGP signature follow.]