Mailing List Archive

Work Work Work

> We have considered assigning a /32 to each root name server and asking
> everybody in the universe to carry these 10 or so routes in the interest
> of complete and permanent provider independence. So rather than worry
> about the /24's ... :-)

For those not at the last IEPG mtg, this was discussed with the trade off
being 13 host routes vs coordinating root cache updates for 20-30 million
end nodes.

--
--bill
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Re: Work Work Work [ In reply to ]
> For those not at the last IEPG mtg, this was discussed with the trade off
> being 13 host routes vs coordinating root cache updates for 20-30 million
> end nodes.

Luckily, as Havard points out, this seems to work now. Don't folk have real
work to do?

randy
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Re: Work Work Work [ In reply to ]
Let's also analyze the cost of wasting the remainder of /24s in this
special case. Much worse has happened.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Re: Work Work Work [ In reply to ]
-> > For those not at the last IEPG mtg, this was discussed with the trade off
-> > being 13 host routes vs coordinating root cache updates for 20-30 million
-> > end nodes.
->
-> Luckily, as Havard points out, this seems to work now. Don't folk have real
-> work to do?
->

Unfortunately, this doesn't work now. Our name servers get tens of thousands
of hits a day for a former root, c.nyser.net, a machine that hasn't existed for
quite some time.

Scott...

***************************
Scott Stansbury
NYSERNet, Inc.
125 Elwood Davis Road
Syracuse, NY 13212-4311
315-453-2912 Ext. 253
scotts@nysernet.org
****************************
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Re: Work Work Work [ In reply to ]
At 09:06 AM 9/9/96 -0400, Jon Zeeff wrote:

>Let's also analyze the cost of wasting the remainder of /24s in this
>special case. Much worse has happened.

It would be a bad precedent for IANA to be promoting such a waste of space
when they are promoting space conservation for everyone else. "Do as I say,
not as I do" is a bad policy.

Justin Newton
Internet Architect
Erol's Internet Services

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Re: Work Work Work [ In reply to ]
Provider Based Aggregation Zealots:

I tend to agree with Karl D. on this matter. Maybe we should just
let the Zealot's of Aggregation continue to trespass into IP
address space territory and then just launch a legal assault.

Many of you must have nothing in life to do but continue to
promote a bad policy and try to manipulate those whom do
not agree. I highly suggest you stop before angering people
who have the financial means to launch a legal warning
counter strike.

We, of course, do not wish to promote a legal battle nor to
be counter-productive. What is important to remember, however,
is to understand that any attempt to encroach, tresspass,
dominate, re-engineer, the existing 'free-space' in /24 will
be a very unpleasant and difficult task.

Do everyone a favor on the network and 'move on to more productive'
tasks. Continuing in this 'dominate all IP address space' direction
by providers is not constructive.

Anyone on the list who can refer an attorney experiened in IP and
telecom, please feel free to refer them to me. I am happy to
continue the lead in opposition to 'complete submission' to
the provider based paradigm.

And I promise, it will not happen.

Best Regards,

Tim
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Re: Work Work Work [ In reply to ]
In a previous message, Tim Bass wrote:

> Provider Based Aggregation Zealots:

[snip]

> Many of you must have nothing in life to do but continue to
> promote a bad policy and try to manipulate those whom do
> not agree. I highly suggest you stop before angering people
> who have the financial means to launch a legal warning
> counter strike.

I presume your arguments against heirarchical routing are available
for analysis by newcomers such as myself?

Like the guy in the oil filter ads says, "sooner or later, you'll
pay"....

--
David Carmean WB6YZM DC574 <dlc@silcom.com>
System/Network Administration, Silicon Beach Communications
Re: Work Work Work [ In reply to ]