Susan R. Harris, Ph.D. Merit Network, Inc. srh@merit.edu
Phone: (313) 936-2100 Fax: (313) 747-3185

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Re: Agenda for next NANOG [ In reply to ]
> Are there other topics you'd like to hear about?

How about

Analysis of Actual End to End Performance accross the NAPs/MAEs

To be given by each operator?

(as opposed to "everything is wonderful because we dropped no packets across
ten feet of level-2 wire")

randy
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Re: Agenda for next NANOG [ In reply to ]
> Are there other topics you'd like to hear about?

How about

Analysis of Actual End to End Performance accross the NAPs/MAEs

To be given by each operator?

(as opposed to "everything is wonderful because we dropped no packets
across ten feet of level-2 wire")

An excellent topic, to be sure, but how do you propose that this be measured?

About the only thing NAP operators can directly gather and report upon is the
"ten feet of level-2 wire".

And before anyone color me a NAP apologist (I'm certainly not, as some
interconnect operators can probably attest), this is a serious question,
not an excuse for any poor performance that _may_ have been observed at
interconnects.

--Vince
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Re: Agenda for next NANOG [ In reply to ]
>> Analysis of Actual End to End Performance accross the NAPs/MAEs
> An excellent topic, to be sure, but how do you propose that this be
> measured?

And there's a subject for a NANOG panel in itself.

I can think of some interesting experiments that would involve cooperation
of multiple peers. But there are folk far better based in measurment than I
who might suggest some fun stuff. Guy, Steve, ..., this is your cue.

randy
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Re: Agenda for next NANOG [ In reply to ]
From various discussions at the FARNET meeting, I am sure there are more
folks participating in what Merit is doing in this area. Perhaps they
can share more about that at NANOG.

--
Stan | Academ Consulting Services |internet: sob@academ.com
Olan | For more info on academ, see this |uucp: {mcsun|amdahl}!academ!sob
Re: Agenda for next NANOG [ In reply to ]
Hi,

it's possible that I'm off base here, but...

> How about
>
> Analysis of Actual End to End Performance accross the NAPs/MAEs
>
> To be given by each operator?
>
> An excellent topic, to be sure, but how do you propose that
> this be measured?
>
> About the only thing NAP operators can directly gather and
> report upon is the "ten feet of level-2 wire".

Somehow I think Randy meant "connected network service operator"
rather than "NAP operator" when he said "operator". Isn't the
problem in some cases more with overloaded access circuits *into*
the NAP rather than the NAP interconnect medium itself?

How to measure? Well, I must admit that I do not have much of a
suggestion there. Pinging your own NAP router usually will not
reveal much regarding the quality of service delivered over the
access circuit, as the NAP router can fool around with where it
places it's self-originating packets in the output queue on the
access circuit.

- Havard