Mailing List Archive

Routing table growth
Re: Routing table growth [ In reply to ]
Andrew Partan said:

> We are starting to get reports from some of our (multihomed)
> customers that full routing tables will no longer fit in 32Meg
> routers.
>
> How many others are seeing this?
> --asp@uunet.uu.net (Andrew Partan)

Apples and oranges, probably, but Digital's routers in Palo Alto (a
pair of AlphaStation 200s, each with 128MB of memory and a pair of
FDDI boards) have a kernel routing table size of 8735 Kbytes (9178
Kbytes peak). The virtual size of the gated process is 27.9Mbytes. We
get full routing tables from Alternet and BBN Planet, and however many
AS paths CIX is supplying. From a gated dump I took on March 28th, I
count 6517 AS paths. As of a couple minutes ago, we have 34662
BGP-supplied routes in our routing table.

Stephen
- -----
Stephen Stuart stuart@pa.dec.com
Network Systems Laboratory
Digital Equipment Corporation
Re: Routing table growth [ In reply to ]
On Apr 3, 22:58, Andrew Partan <asp@partan.com> wrote:
> Subject: Routing table growth
> We are starting to get reports from some of our (multihomed)
> customers that full routing tables will no longer fit in 32Meg
> routers.
>
> How many others are seeing this?

Yes ... we will be replacing most 32M routers. With 34k routes
there's ~10M left in a 32M router, but this can turn into a squeeze
when it's sending lots of updates to many peers. I've seen up to
several hundred packets queued for each peer. So, for instance, 400
packets * 1500(?) bytes = 600kbytes per peer. With few peers, no
problem; with more than a dozen, it's getting close to a no-go.

--
------ ___ --- Per G. Bilse, Mgr Network Operations Ctr
----- / / / __ ___ _/_ ---- EUnet Communications Services B.V.