would clearly reduce routing table size. They said no. Everyone is
free to draw their own conclusions regarding Sprint's policies and the
real motivations behind them.
Re: Sprint's agenda [ In reply to ]
Jon Zeeff wrote:

>> And the global routing table grows.

>We asked Sprint for an exception to their routing policy in a case that
>would clearly reduce routing table size. They said no. Everyone is
>free to draw their own conclusions regarding Sprint's policies and the
>real motivations behind them.

Cisco's configurations aren't rubber. You can only stretch them so far.
Every exception is more stuff in configuration on a dozen of routers.
This also increases CPU load.

If you think Sprint's goal is to reduce table size you're wrong. The
goal is to avoid routers going belly up from overload. So the approach
is to have a blanket policy which is not too expensive to compute but
does contain growth _on average_.

--vadim

PS. Here's line counts for you to appreciate better why Sprint engineering
does not like exceptions:

1291 icm-dc-1-confg
191 icm-dc-2-confg
542 icm-dc-2b-confg
1155 icm-dc-3-confg
792 icm-fix-e-confg
842 icm-fix-w-confg
314 icm-lac-1-confg
1194 icm-mae-e-confg
164 icm-moscow-1-confg
398 icm-pen-1-confg
447 icm-pen-2-confg
418 icm-stockholm-2-confg
190 icm-uk-1-confg
399 sl-ana-1-confg
386 sl-ana-2-confg
737 sl-ana-3-confg
559 sl-ana-4-confg
435 sl-ana-5-confg
451 sl-ana-6-confg
242 sl-ana-7-confg
356 sl-atl-1-confg
361 sl-atl-2-confg
496 sl-atl-3-confg
420 sl-atl-4-confg
353 sl-atl-5-confg
401 sl-che-1-confg
403 sl-che-2-confg
417 sl-che-3-confg
301 sl-chi-1-confg
521 sl-chi-10-confg
587 sl-chi-11-confg
187 sl-chi-12-confg
513 sl-chi-13-confg
480 sl-chi-14-confg
393 sl-chi-15-confg
354 sl-chi-2-confg
440 sl-chi-3-confg
713 sl-chi-4-confg
608 sl-chi-5-confg
453 sl-chi-6-confg
610 sl-chi-7-confg
453 sl-chi-8-confg
507 sl-chi-9-confg
572 sl-chi-nap-confg
496 sl-dc-1-confg
734 sl-dc-10-confg
677 sl-dc-11-confg
642 sl-dc-12-confg
575 sl-dc-13-confg
543 sl-dc-14-confg
459 sl-dc-15-confg
503 sl-dc-16-confg
791 sl-dc-17-confg
382 sl-dc-18-confg
391 sl-dc-2-confg
495 sl-dc-3-confg
731 sl-dc-4-confg
551 sl-dc-5-confg
847 sl-dc-6-confg
406 sl-dc-7-confg
662 sl-dc-8-confg
677 sl-dc-9-confg
181 sl-dc-s-1-confg
495 sl-fw-1-confg
502 sl-fw-10-confg
532 sl-fw-11-confg
518 sl-fw-12-confg
512 sl-fw-13-confg
472 sl-fw-14-confg
359 sl-fw-15-confg
484 sl-fw-2-confg
831 sl-fw-3-confg
480 sl-fw-4-confg
479 sl-fw-5-confg
413 sl-fw-6-confg
460 sl-fw-7-confg
507 sl-fw-8-confg
449 sl-fw-9-confg
391 sl-hrn-1-confg
369 sl-kc-1-confg
368 sl-kc-2-confg
1076 sl-mae-e-confg
739 sl-mae-w-confg
673 sl-pen-1-confg
447 sl-pen-10-confg
390 sl-pen-12-confg
512 sl-pen-13-confg
316 sl-pen-14-confg
352 sl-pen-15-confg
948 sl-pen-2-confg
613 sl-pen-3-confg
451 sl-pen-4-confg
524 sl-pen-5-confg
606 sl-pen-6-confg
546 sl-pen-7-confg
542 sl-pen-8-confg
505 sl-pen-9-confg
389 sl-sea-1-confg
392 sl-sea-2-confg
442 sl-sea-3-confg
438 sl-sea-4-confg
375 sl-sea-5-confg
459 sl-stk-1-confg
600 sl-stk-10-confg
590 sl-stk-11-confg
492 sl-stk-12-confg
504 sl-stk-13-confg
358 sl-stk-14-confg
380 sl-stk-15-confg
544 sl-stk-2-confg
531 sl-stk-3-confg
904 sl-stk-4-confg
618 sl-stk-5-confg
638 sl-stk-6-confg
555 sl-stk-7-confg
592 sl-stk-8-confg
541 sl-stk-9-confg
461 sl-stk-nap-confg
61453 total
Re: Sprint's agenda [ In reply to ]
There is nothing new here; it is Common Knowledge that
Sprint is the source of all evil on the Internet, and is
out to crush small providers, and make sure that everyone in
the world burns his or her toast, and so on and so forth.

Everyone has been welcome to draw their own conclusions
from day one.

Sean.
- --

Re: Sprint's agenda [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 3 Apr 1996, Jon Zeeff wrote:

> We asked Sprint for an exception to their routing policy in a case that
> would clearly reduce routing table size. They said no. Everyone is
> free to draw their own conclusions regarding Sprint's policies and the
> real motivations behind them.

I seem to remember something about Sprint having a "no exceptions" policy
on their prefix filters. I think Sean said something once about the
lawyers requiring that.

Then again I don't work for Sprint and don't know anyone who does so I
could be completly off base.

Christopher E Stefan http://www.ironhorse.com/~flatline
System Administrator Home: (206) 706-0945
Ironhorse Software, Inc. Work: (206) 783-6636
flatline@ironhorse.com finger for PGP key