Mailing List Archive

misinformation and rumors from MCI
Here's a piece of mail I just got forwarded to me by a customer, originally
written by someone at "worlds.net". I wonder who at MCI is so incredibly
misinformed about small ISPs, to the point of denigrating them?

>I met with the regional direction for networkMCI services last week.
>One of the issues discussed was scruz-net.
>
>They are not a true Mae-west peer, meaning their only connection to
>the internet is through the Mae-west FDDI ring. Even worse, the only
>company who has agreed to peer with them (accept any traffic) is MCI.
>
>Thus, all scruz net traffic must enter and exit through the MCI
>router, even if bound for another peer on the ring such as Sprint or
>PSI-net.
>
>This was a mistake created by a single person at the internic, who
>didn't realize fully the ramification of having a non-nationwide
>network peering into mae-west. (all other peers at the mae's and
>nap's touch each other at multiple cross-over points)

For the curious, our 7505 at MAE-West peers with 15 other NSPs/ISPs who
are there, and since we don't buy transit from MCI the _only_ traffic that
enters the MCI router is traffic for their customers. Anybody at MCI
who is interested in educating their "regional directors" about how the
technology actually works might want to do so soon.

-matthew kaufman
matthew@scruz.net
Re: misinformation and rumors from MCI [ In reply to ]
Matthem,

I read your letter with a bit of a frown.

] Here's a piece of mail I just got forwarded to me by a customer, originally
] written by someone at "worlds.net". I wonder who at MCI is so incredibly
] misinformed about small ISPs, to the point of denigrating them?

] > [ 3rd party mail deleted]

] For the curious, our 7505 at MAE-West peers with 15 other NSPs/ISPs who
] are there, and since we don't buy transit from MCI the _only_ traffic that
] enters the MCI router is traffic for their customers. Anybody at MCI
] who is interested in educating their "regional directors" about how the
] technology actually works might want to do so soon.

Imagine that, someone at an NSP is misinformed?!?

Please, in the future, send this mail to the person's manager, not
to the NANOG mail list. People make mistakes, obviously he made
one, and I don't see any reason to drag them/him through the
coals.

I've seen mistakes made by my customers, SprintLink, ANS, MCI, my
technicians, and *gasp* even me. I don't think this is the
appropriate venue for such things.

-alan
Re: misinformation and rumors from MCI [ In reply to ]
Original message <199601310545.XAA14185@westie.gi.net>