Mailing List Archive

Policy Statement on Address Space Allocations
> Sean Doran <smd@cesium.clock.org> writes:
>
> | Now can we try to make things work rather than point fingers!
>
> Yes, indeed; that is the ultimate goal we share.

Pooooh .... relief.

> We just have some differences of philosophy -- you think
> that RIPE really can persuade people into having only
> 1024 announements (preferably far fewer) in 195/8, and
> I don't. That's all.

OK. I call this a challenge but you won't let me try ;-).

> The compromise we could find would involve a practicable
> method by which we don't have to put a prefix-length-floor
> in place, but at the same time don't have to spend enormous
> amounts of (unavailable) CPU time filtering based on what's
> in the RIPE database.

All I am suggesting is to set it at /19 initially which should consume
roughly ;-) as many CPU time as setting it to /18.

Should we fail to meet the challenge later, I suggest to set it to /18
and allow some /19 exceptions caused by our allocation policy. This
will be a quite limited number, the information will be machine readable
in real time. We will provide the tools (3 lines perl) to generate
filters from it.

Frankly: If you cannot do this your motives become quite questionable.

> Avoiding large amounts of (largely unavailable) staff time
> at Sprint and RIPE to chase down offenders and try to figure
> out how to stop them from ignoring their contribution to
> melting routers is also something I'd like to avoid.

It is not as big a deal as you want to make it.

Daniel
Re: Policy Statement on Address Space Allocations [ In reply to ]
> Despite the weather forecast, I'm sure you'll warm to RIPE, its
> members and even its "bureaucracy", and perhaps revise your
> opinion in the light of an enjoyable experience.
>
> Looking forward to meeting you in Amsterdam.

Me too. See you all there...

--
Peter Galbavy peter@demon.net
@ Demon Internet phone://44/181/371_3700
Re: Policy Statement on Address Space Allocations [ In reply to ]
> I think the hierarchical routeing is one step *worse* than the above.
> The address *defines* the route the packets take ? What about the real,
> live multi-interconnect, multi-homed Internet we use ? Maybe I have
> misunderstood the way IPv6 addressing works.

HR sure does sound real bad, just for grins what is your plan to keep
the routing table size within the constraints of the routers without it?

Scott
Re: Policy Statement on Address Space Allocations [ In reply to ]
You're trying to achieve a perfect policy that will work for all time
when what we need is something to eke out IPv4 for the rest of its
natural life. By the time enough of your postulated ISPs have grown big
enough AND THEN shrunk enough for this to matter in any practical sense,
IPv4 will have become mostly static, and all of us here will have retired
from active Internet Politics. I hope.