[YouTube]<https://go.oit.co/youtube>
Join the OITVOIP Family at the Right of Boom Event in Las Vegas, NV on March 6th - 8th
Register Today! https://www.rightofboom.com/<https://www.rightofboom.com/>
Re: BGP Monitoring [ In reply to ]
[.Full Disclosure, the bgp.tools guy will of course tell you to use bgp.tools]

Unsure what the etiquette for self promotion is on this mailing list,
but I would happily recommend bgp.tools (the service I run). It
supports the development of the BGP toolkit at the same time.

For myself (since I cannot really monitor myself with myself) I use
https://github.com/nttgin/BGPalerter

Re: BGP Monitoring [ In reply to ]
I love bgp.tools ;) good product

Re: BGP Monitoring [ In reply to ]
bgp.tools

Re: BGP Monitoring [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Mon, 26 Feb 2024, at 5:41 PM, Ray Orsini via NANOG wrote:
> What tools are you using to monitor BGP announcements and route changes?

https://bgp.tools is excellent - and amazingly fast at BGP and IRR notifications: https://bgp.tools/pricing

Ian
Re: BGP Monitoring [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Feb 26, 2024 at 05:41:12PM +0000, Ray Orsini via NANOG wrote:
> What tools are you using to monitor BGP announcements and route changes?

The wonderful BGP.tools already has been mentioned a few times.

Another excellent option is https://Packetvis.com, I find their RPKI
monitoring approach to be very insightful.

Catchpoint might be another option, https://www.catchpoint.com/bgp,
AFAIK by the same people that worked on "Isolario" a few years ago.

Kind regards,

Job
Re: BGP Monitoring [ In reply to ]
Le Mon, Feb 26, 2024 at 07:12:57PM +0100, Job Snijders via NANOG a ?crit :
> On Mon, Feb 26, 2024 at 05:41:12PM +0000, Ray Orsini via NANOG wrote:
> > What tools are you using to monitor BGP announcements and route changes?
>
> The wonderful BGP.tools already has been mentioned a few times.
>
> Another excellent option is https://Packetvis.com, I find their RPKI
> monitoring approach to be very insightful.

Do you know who's behind that site ?

Denis
Re: BGP Monitoring [ In reply to ]
I believe PacketVis is Massimo Candela , based on
https://ripe85.ripe.net/archives/video/987/

Re: BGP Monitoring [ In reply to ]
Whoa, its nice to see that Allesandro is still around.
It was sad to see when Isolario.it quietly went offline.

Also I would point out in CAIDA's general direction
https://bgpstream.caida.org/ (should fit OP bill).
CAIDA was first to show how much geeky fun might be had by monitoring (and
sometimes storing) BGP updates.

RIPE RIS
https://www.ripe.net/analyse/internet-measurements/routing-information-service-ris/
is also good, but as Job Snijders pointed me out doesn't send emails out
of the box.

Re: BGP Monitoring [ In reply to ]
nanog@nanog.org (Alexander Lyamin via NANOG) wrote:

> RIPE RIS
> https://www.ripe.net/analyse/internet-measurements/routing-information-service-ris/
> is also good, but as Job Snijders pointed me out doesn't send emails out
> of the box.

It does provide a filterable live feed that we use for leak detection.

Apart from that we're using bgp.tools when we want to dig into stuff.
Oh, and most of the T1s have either routeservers or at least mostly usable
looking glasses.

HTH,
Elmar.
Re: BGP Monitoring [ In reply to ]
Ray mentioned precisely that he wants to monitor BGP announcements and
route changes.

Leak detection is kind of on a different level. You need a bit more data
to effectively detect them. ( I kind of know that).

It makes discussion more colorful to my taste. You can do a lot with
colorful bgp data ;)

Re: BGP Monitoring [ In reply to ]
> On 27 Feb 2024, at 01:28, Ben Cox via NANOG <nanog@nanog.org> wrote:
>
> I believe PacketVis is Massimo Candela , based on
> https://ripe85.ripe.net/archives/video/987/

It is run by his brother rather than Massimo, but it is his BGPalerter software behind the family business :)

Re: BGP Monitoring [ In reply to ]
Aha! That makes sense!

I was struggling to find any kind of public data on who runs it, so I
assumed whoever was presenting it probably runs / owned it

Re: BGP Monitoring [ In reply to ]
Hi Alex,

la@qrator.net (Alexander Lyamin) wrote:

> Ray mentioned precisely that he wants to monitor BGP announcements and
> route changes.
>
> Leak detection is kind of on a different level. You need a bit more data
> to effectively detect them. ( I kind of know that).

Our use case is extremely simple, so the RIS feed gives us everything we need.
We don't need to qualify the leak, *any* leak from a local node is undesirable,
they tag everything NO_EXPORT. Anybody exporting must thus be dealt with.

But you gave me an idea regarding our datacenter prefixes...

Cheers,
Elmar.