Sorry if this is slightly out of topic here. Could not find any news
anywhere related internet impact

Thanks
Re: Chile [ In reply to ]
Yes there are fires, many of them. Having dealt with the fires in Valpariso
area I can imagine the impact to power, gas and hanging fiber. I did not
see any news that would mention Internet or communications specifically.

--
- Andrew "lathama" Latham -
Re: Chile [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I cannot confirm if this due to the fires but there's some usual changes
in BGP for Chilean networks.

- One of the two 'telefonica movil de chile' (AS27680) temporarily lost
global reachability around 19:00 UTC on feb 2nd:
https://ihr.iijlab.net/ihr/en-us/networks/AS27680?rov_tb=routes&af=4&last=3&date=2024-02-03

Later around 20:45 UTC:

- AS263816 (Chamber of Deputies?) and AS264839 lost global reachability
for about 4h:
https://ihr.iijlab.net/ihr/en-us/networks/AS263816?rov_tb=routes&af=4&last=3&date=2024-02-03
https://ihr.iijlab.net/ihr/en-us/networks/AS264839?rov_tb=routes&af=4&last=3&date=2024-02-03

- The Catholic University of Valparaíso (AS16742) lost connectivity with
one of its upstream (CTC) and switched entirely to AS3549:
https://ihr.iijlab.net/ihr/en-us/networks/AS16742?rov_tb=routes&hege_tb=dependency&af=4&last=3&date=2024-02-03

- AS22860 also lost an upstream:
https://ihr.iijlab.net/ihr/en-us/networks/AS22860?rov_tb=routes&hege_tb=dependency&af=4&last=3&date=2024-02-03

During that period of time Entel Chile (AS27986) is not as stable as it
used to be:
https://ihr.iijlab.net/ihr/en-us/networks/AS27986?rov_tb=routes&af=4&last=3&date=2024-02-03

Some of these are also confirmed by IODA:
https://ioda.inetintel.cc.gatech.edu/asn/27680?from=1706833535&until=1707092735
https://ioda.inetintel.cc.gatech.edu/asn/264839?from=1706834461&until=1706920861
https://ioda.inetintel.cc.gatech.edu/asn/263816?from=1706834461&until=1706920861

Take this with a grain of salt, this is what we see with our
(experimental) tools from Japan, I have no idea what exactly happened to
these networks.

Romain Fontugne

Re: Chile [ In reply to ]
It was 40C this AM in the area of Quilpué where the fires have destroyed
many things including the vast amount of fiber running inland. The smoke is
limiting work as breathing is difficult at best. I noticed the tools like a
wildfire tracker incorrectly reported fires in the Valparaíso harbor at one
point. A good resource is https://web.senapred.cl to show the vast number
of fires in many regions from an exceptionally dry and hot summer.

I have info from various Chileans including one of the ASNs mentioned by
Romain.

--
- Andrew "lathama" Latham -