Mailing List Archive

route: 0.0.0.0/32 in LEVEL3 IRR
Hi,

I got 2 bounces for the email addresses seen below for an email similar
to the below...

Anyone want to remove this IRR entry before anyone notices...??? ;-)

Frank

I believe that the entry of
route: 0.0.0.0/32

does not serve any good purpose?

I was surprised to see it in a list of prefixes from bgpq4 and the very
good https://irrexplorer.nlnog.net/prefix/0.0.0.0 guided me that it's in
"Level3".

I'm wondering how many auto-generated filters contain this unnecessary
prefix....

PS: Oh, just seen - it's from TODAY. Maybe remove before anyone sees it...?

Thanks for looking into this,
Frank

[frank@fisi ~]$ whois -h rr.level3.com 0.0.0.0/32
[Querying rr.level3.com]
[rr.level3.com]
route: 0.0.0.0/32
origin: AS10753
mnt-by: TCCGlobalNV-MNT
changed: ankita.grewal@lumen.com
source: LEVEL3
last-modified: 2024-01-30T11:04:49Z

[frank@fisi ~]$ whois -h rr.level3.com TCCGlobalNV-MNT
[Querying rr.level3.com]
[rr.level3.com]
mntner: TCCGlobalNV-MNT
descr: TCC Global N.V.
auth: CRYPT-PW DummyValue # Filtered for security
upd-to: ripehostmaster@eu.centurylink.net
tech-c: LTHM
admin-c: LTHM
mnt-by: TCCGlobalNV-MNT
changed: ankita.grewal@lumen.com
source: LEVEL3
last-modified: 2024-01-30T11:01:52Z
Re: route: 0.0.0.0/32 in LEVEL3 IRR [ In reply to ]
That's pretty cool, actually. I keep wondering when someone will offer
up a 0.0.0.0/8...

https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-schoen-intarea-unicast-0-00.html

There must be more people out there than just amazon and google that
ran out of 10/8.

--
40 years of net history, a couple songs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9RGX6QFm5E
Re: route: 0.0.0.0/32 in LEVEL3 IRR [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jan 30, 2024 at 07:28:01PM +0300, Frank Habicht wrote:
> I believe that the entry of
> route: 0.0.0.0/32
>
> does not serve any good purpose?

I don't think so either, I've created an issue to prevent that in future
releases of IRRd v4: https://github.com/irrdnet/irrd/issues/906

Thanks for noticing that!

It'll be up to Lumen to remove the record at hand.

Kind regards,

Job
Re: route: 0.0.0.0/32 in LEVEL3 IRR [ In reply to ]
Seems it disappeared now and we can go back to regular programming.

Thanks to those who did that.

Frank

[frank@fisi ~]$ whois -h rr.level3.com 0.0.0.0/32
[Querying rr.level3.com]
[rr.level3.com]
% No entries found for the selected source(s).

[frank@fisi ~]$

Re: route: 0.0.0.0/32 in LEVEL3 IRR [ In reply to ]
DoD's /8s are usually squatted by networks that run out of private IPv4 space.
Even though it is very risky to steal resources from an organization
that can deploy a black helicopter or a nuclear warhead over you, for
some reason like it not appearing in the DFZ people seem to like it.

Rubens

Re: route: 0.0.0.0/32 in LEVEL3 IRR [ In reply to ]

> Even though it is very risky to steal resources from an organization
> that can deploy a black helicopter or a nuclear warhead over you

Seems a bit dramatic. Companies all over the world have been using other
people's public IPs internally for decades. I worked at a place 20 odd
years ago that had an odd numbering scheme internally, and it was someone
else's public space. When I asked why, the guy who built it said "Well I
just liked the pattern."

If you're not announcing someone else's space into the DFZ, or
otherwise trying to do anything shady, the three letter agencies aren't
likely to come knocking. Doesn't mean anyone SHOULD be doing it, but
still.

Re: route: 0.0.0.0/32 in LEVEL3 IRR [ In reply to ]
For many years, a large customer (telco/VOIP/ISP carrier that should have known better) of a former employer was using 11.0.0.0/8 as an extension of 10.0.0.0/8 and literally forced said employer to carry their routes to those prefixes in those tables (or lose an extremely lucrative contract). At the time, 11/8 was IANA resrved, and my point that it was likely to be allocated to an RIR and subsequently some real entitie(s) on the internet was utterly lost in the pursuit of the almighty dollar. I left that job for greener pastures before IANA allocated that prefix, but I’m sure there were some definite interesting results there when it happened.

Owen

Re: route: 0.0.0.0/32 in LEVEL3 IRR [ In reply to ]
On 01/02/2024 01:45, Tom Beecher wrote:
> Seems a bit dramatic. Companies all over the world have been using other
> people's public IPs internally for decades. I worked at a place 20 odd
> years ago that had an odd numbering scheme internally, and it was
> someone else's public space. When I asked why, the guy who built it said
> "Well I just liked the pattern."
>
> If you're not announcing someone else's space into the DFZ, or
> otherwise trying to do anything shady, the three letter agencies aren't
> likely to come knocking. Doesn't mean anyone SHOULD be doing it, but still.

Well...

If you're using 20.20.20.0/24 which is not "yours" (as I've seen
happen), then certainly your customers can't get to the real 20.20.20.x
And even if that's not announced and used /today/ - this can change
quickly...

Frank
Re: route: 0.0.0.0/32 in LEVEL3 IRR [ In reply to ]
> On Jan 31, 2024, at 23:19, Frank Habicht <geier@geier.ne.tz> wrote:
>
> On 01/02/2024 01:45, Tom Beecher wrote:
>> Seems a bit dramatic. Companies all over the world have been using other people's public IPs internally for decades. I worked at a place 20 odd years ago that had an odd numbering scheme internally, and it was someone else's public space. When I asked why, the guy who built it said "Well I just liked the pattern."
>> If you're not announcing someone else's space into the DFZ, or otherwise trying to do anything shady, the three letter agencies aren't likely to come knocking. Doesn't mean anyone SHOULD be doing it, but still.
>
> Well...
>
> If you're using 20.20.20.0/24 which is not "yours" (as I've seen happen), then certainly your customers can't get to the real 20.20.20.x
> And even if that's not announced and used /today/ - this can change quickly...
>
> Frank

You are repeating exactly the argument I made at the time.

Owen
Re: route: 0.0.0.0/32 in LEVEL3 IRR [ In reply to ]
If you are using IPv4 address that belong to someone else internally you really are in a prime position to use IPv6 only internally and use one of the IPv4AAS mechanisms to reach the IPv4 internet. After a quarter of a century all your equipment should be IPv6 capable.

--
Mark Andrews

Re: route: 0.0.0.0/32 in LEVEL3 IRR [ In reply to ]
It's unfortunate, but quite common. I've seen similar occurrences in
several companies I worked for previously. For instance, one of my former
employers utilized public IP addresses belonging to others for IPMI server
access, even though it was solely for management purposes and not
communicated to any peers internally. Consequently, none of the customers
could access these public IPs. The reason for this? When the company
initially acquired these IPs, they were part of a leased range. Upon
termination of the agreement, instead of changing all the IPs, they opted
to continue using them due to the perceived hassle. Similarly, another
service provider used IPs from its leased range for DNS servers. When the
agreement ended and IPs were reallocated, they persisted with the old IPs
because updating DNS server settings on customer CPEs lacked automation and
thought it was too much trouble.

Unfortunately, such examples are not uncommon, and certainly don't
represent best practices

*Andrian Visnevschi*

Re: route: 0.0.0.0/32 in LEVEL3 IRR [ In reply to ]
Yes, absolutely. That's part of the technical risk that you take if you
decide to do such things.

If it's a "good" choice or not is entirely situational. Some organizations
are fine with kicking that tech debt down the road, others like to double
down and create a house of cards.

Re: route: 0.0.0.0/32 in LEVEL3 IRR [ In reply to ]
Rubens,

Le 31/01/2024 à 06:48, Rubens Kuhl a écrit :
> DoD's /8s are usually squatted by networks that run out of private IPv4 space.

Indeed, most I've seen just came to the conclusion that if there's no
more blocks available in 10/8, just use the next best thing : 11/8.

Best regards,

--
Jérôme Nicolle
+33 6 19 31 27 14