Intelligent Computing Solutions

Midwest Internet Exchange

The Brothers WISP
Re: "Hypothetical" Datacenter Overheating [ In reply to ]
At 09:08 AM 2024-01-15, Mike Hammett wrote:
>Let's say that hypothetically, a datacenter you're in had a cooling
>failure and escalated to an average of 120 degrees before
>mitigations started having an effect. What are normal QA procedures
>on your behalf? What is the facility likely to be doing?
>What should be expected in the aftermath?

One would hope they would have had disaster recovery plans to bring
in outside cold air, and have executed on it quickly, rather than
hoping the chillers got repaired.

All our owned facilities have large outside air intakes, automatic
dampers and air mixing chambers in case of mechanical cooling
failure, because cooling systems are often not designed to run well
in extreme cold. All of these can be manually run incase of controls
failure, but people tell me I'm a little obsessive over backup plans
for backup plans.

You will start to see premature failure of equipment over the coming
weeks/months/years.

Coincidentally, we have some gear in a data centre in the Chicago
area that is experiencing that sort of issue right now... :-(
Re: "Hypothetical" Datacenter Overheating [ In reply to ]
Coincidence indeed.... ;-)

-----
Mike Hammett

Re: "Hypothetical" Datacenter Overheating [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jan 15, 2024 at 6:08?AM Mike Hammett <nanog@ics-il.net> wrote:
> Let's say that hypothetically, a datacenter you're in had a cooling failure
> and escalated to an average of 120 degrees before mitigations started
> having an effect. What should be expected in the aftermath?

Hi Mike,

A decade or so ago I maintained a computer room with a single air
conditioner because the boss wouldn't go for n+1. It failed in exactly
this manner several times. After the overheat was detected by the
monitoring system, it would be brought under control with a
combination of spot cooler and powering down to a minimal
configuration. But of course it takes time to get people there and set
up the mitigations, during which the heat continues to rise.

The main thing I noticed was a modest uptick in spinning drive
failures for the couple months that followed. If there was any other
consequence it was at a rate where I'd have had to be carefully
measuring before and after to detect it.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin
bill@herrin.us
Re: "Hypothetical" Datacenter Overheating [ In reply to ]
I think we're beyond "hypothetical" at this point, Mike ... ;)

Re: "Hypothetical" Datacenter Overheating [ In reply to ]
Our Zayo circuit just came up 30 minutes ago and it routes through 350 E
Cermak.  Chillers were all messed up.  No hypothetical there.  :-) It
was down for over 16 hours!

Re: "Hypothetical" Datacenter Overheating [ In reply to ]
I’m more interested in how you lose six chillers all at once.
Shane

http://www.ics-il.com/"]Intelligent Computing Solutions
http://www.midwest-ix.com/"]Midwest Internet Exchange
http://www.thebrotherswisp.com/"]The Brothers WISP
https://www.facebook.com/thebrotherswisp"]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXSdfxQv7SpoRQYNyLwntZg"]
Re: "Hypothetical" Datacenter Overheating [ In reply to ]
and none in the other two facilities you operate in that same building had any failures.

-----

Re: "Hypothetical" Datacenter Overheating [ In reply to ]
Easy. Climate change. Lol!

-mel

?

[http://www.ics-il.com/images/fbicon.png]<https://www.facebook.com/ICSIL>[http://www.ics-il.com/images/googleicon.png]<https://plus.google.com/+IntelligentComputingSolutionsDeKalb>[http://www.ics-il.com/images/linkedinicon.png]<https://www.linkedin.com/company/intelligent-computing-solutions>[http://www.ics-il.com/images/twittericon.png]<https://twitter.com/ICSIL>
Midwest Internet Exchange<http://www.midwest-ix.com/>
[http://www.ics-il.com/images/fbicon.png]<https://www.facebook.com/mdwestix>[http://www.ics-il.com/images/linkedinicon.png]<https://www.linkedin.com/company/midwest-internet-exchange>[http://www.ics-il.com/images/twittericon.png]<https://twitter.com/mdwestix>
The Brothers WISP<http://www.thebrotherswisp.com/>
[http://www.ics-il.com/images/fbicon.png]<https://www.facebook.com/thebrotherswisp>[http://www.ics-il.com/images/youtubeicon.png]<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXSdfxQv7SpoRQYNyLwntZg>

Re: "Hypothetical" Datacenter Overheating [ In reply to ]
On 1/15/24 07:21, Mel Beckman wrote:
> Easy. Climate change. Lol!

It was -8°F in Chicago yesterday.

>> On Jan 15, 2024, at 7:17 AM, sronan@ronan-online.com wrote:
>>
>> ?
>> I’m more interested in how you lose six chillers all at once.

--
Jay Hennigan - jay@west.net
Network Engineering - CCIE #7880
Re: "Hypothetical" Datacenter Overheating [ In reply to ]
On 1/15/24 10:37, Pennington, Scott wrote:
> yes but.... it has been -8 in Chicago plenty of times before this.
>  Very interested in root cause...

Absolutely. My point was that claiming "Global warming" isn't going to
fly as an excuse.

Re: "Hypothetical" Datacenter Overheating [ In reply to ]
My sarcasm generator is clearly set incorrectly :)

-mel

Re: "Hypothetical" Datacenter Overheating [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jan 15, 2024 at 4:10?PM Jay Hennigan <jay@west.net> wrote:

> On 1/15/24 10:37, Pennington, Scott wrote:
> > yes but.... it has been -8 in Chicago plenty of times before this.
> > Very interested in root cause...
>
> Absolutely. My point was that claiming "Global warming" isn't going to
> fly as an excuse.

+1

Is their design N+1?

https://www.equinix.com/data-centers/americas-colocation/united-states-colocation/chicago-data-centers/ch1

We're not smashing temp records in Chicago. At least it doesn't seem so
when you look across historical data:

https://www.weather.gov/lot/Chicago_Temperature_Records

HTH,

-M<
Re: "Hypothetical" Datacenter Overheating [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jan 15, 2024 at 7:14?AM <sronan@ronan-online.com> wrote:
> I’m more interested in how you lose six chillers all at once.

Extreme cold. If the transfer temperature is too low, they can reach a
state where the refrigerant liquifies too soon, damaging the
compressor.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin
bill@herrin.us
Re: "Hypothetical" Datacenter Overheating [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jan 15, 2024 at 7:14?AM <sronan@ronan-online.com> wrote:
>> I’m more interested in how you lose six chillers all at once.
>Extreme cold. If the transfer temperature is too low, they can reach a
>state where the refrigerant liquifies too soon, damaging the
compressor.
>Regards,
>Bill Herrin

Our 70-ton Tranes here have kicked out on 'freeze warning' before; there's a strainer in the water loop at the evaporator that can clog, restricting flow enough to allow freezing to occur if the chiller is actively cooling.  It's so strange to have an overheating data center in subzero (F) temps.  The flow sensor in the water loop can sometimes get too cold and not register the flow as well.

________________________________
Re: "Hypothetical" Datacenter Overheating [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2024-01-15 at 08:08 -0600, Mike Hammett wrote:
> Let's say that hypothetically, a datacenter you're in had a cooling
> failure and escalated to an average of 120 degrees

Major double-take there for this non-US reader, until I realised you
just had to mean Fahrenheit.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer (kauer@biplane.com.au)
http://www.biplane.com.au/kauer
Re: "Hypothetical" Datacenter Overheating [ In reply to ]
Someone I talked to while on scene today said their area got to 130 and cooked two core routers.

-----