Mailing List Archive

Re: Diversity of MUAs (was Re: How threading works (was Re: Root Cause Re: 202401102221.AYC ...))
On Sunday, January 14, 2024 6:01:45 AM UTC William Herrin wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 13, 2024 at 12:58?PM Bryan Fields <Bryan@bryanfields.net> wrote:
> > On 1/12/24 3:04 PM, Mu wrote:
> > > Would it be possible for you to reply in-thread, rather than creating a new thread with a new subject line every time you reply to someone?
> > >
> > > Trying to follow the conversation becomes very difficult for no reason.
> >
> > Threading has nothing to do with subject lines. RFC822 (now 5822) specifies
> > how this works based on message ID. This thread displays fine in threaded
> > mode in my MUA and in the archives.
>
> Hi Bryan,
>
> Respectfully, your MUA is not the only MUA. Others work differently.
>
> GMail, for example, follows the message IDs as you say but assumes
> that if you change the subject line in your reply (more than adding
> "Re:") then you intend to start a new thread from that point in the
> discussion. It groups messages accordingly.
>
> This is not an unreasonable expectation: if you merely want to
> continue the current conversation without going off on a new tangent
> then there's no need for a different subject line.
>
> Regards,
> Bill Herrin

I have been using KMail to read this list. Just thought I'd throw my hat in the ring there, I guess!
Re: Diversity of MUAs (was Re: How threading works (was Re: Root Cause Re: 202401102221.AYC ...)) [ In reply to ]
*audible sigh*

Yet another useless thread added to my Gmail inbox because of a changed
subject line.

Can we please stop doing this for conversations that are about the same
topic? Numerous users on this list have clearly shown they are annoyed by
this, and frankly is something that the list admins should be looking into
- it spams everyone’s inboxes and makes conversations harder to follow.

Kind regards,
Peter