Any idea please on the best way to buy IPv4 blocs and what is the price?

Thank you

KARIM
Re: IPv4 address block [ In reply to ]
Hello,

I would suggest looking at IPv4.Global, they have quite a few blocks in a
number of sizes, available for purchase.

For pricing, take a look at https://auctions.ipv4.global/.

Regards,
Christopher Hawker

Re: IPv4 address block [ In reply to ]
On Jan 7, 2024, at 7:46?PM, KARIM MEKKAOUI <amekkaoui@mektel.ca> wrote:

Hi Nanog Community

Any idea please on the best way to buy IPv4 blocs and what is the price?

Karim -

Many folks make use of a broker for the purpose of finding an IPv4 address block – ARIN refers to organizations that aid others with transfers of address blocks as “facilitators”.

As a result of community concerns regarding less than stellar performance of some ARIN-listed facilitators, we recently relaunched the ARIN facilitator program with significantly more robust legal, accountability and transparency requirements – https://www.arin.net/resources/registry/transfers/facilitators/#qualified-facilitator-requirements

This has resulted in a significant reduction in the number of organizations listed by ARIN as Qualified Facilitators, but there are plenty that meet the higher operational and customer satisfaction criteria and can be found here – https://www.arin.net/resources/registry/transfers/facilitators/qualifiedfacilitators/ – any of them should be able to do a credible job in helping you obtain an IPv4 address block from the marketplace.

Best wishes,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO
American Registry for Internet Numbers
Re: IPv4 address block [ In reply to ]
I might note that one of the qualified facilitators on the list recently
"sold" me a block where the original entity which obtained it in the 1990s
was still announcing it to all of their peers and trantsi after the wire
transfer had been done, the ARIN process was done/ticket closed, and the
block resided with my AS.

It took a significant amount of badgering the original block holder (an
entity with which we had no pre-existing relationship or direct contacts
into their engineering department) to get them to withdraw the
announcement, which we did independently of the broker and quicker than
they responded to us. So my message would be to do your own due diligence
and investigation of IP space and don't trust what the "broker" tells you.

Re: IPv4 address block [ In reply to ]

Interesting. If you believe that the qualified facilitator failed in their duty to you (more specifically, if they did not live up to an aspect of the code of conduct – https://www.arin.net/resources/registry/transfers/facilitators/codeofconduct/) then please drop ARIN a message with the specifics to facilitator-support@arin.net<mailto:facilitator-support@arin.net>

It took a significant amount of badgering the original block holder (an entity with which we had no pre-existing relationship or direct contacts into their engineering department) to get them to withdraw the announcement, which we did independently of the broker and quicker than they responded to us. So my message would be to do your own due diligence and investigation of IP space and don't trust what the "broker" tells you.

Absolutely - always a good idea.

Thanks for feedback!

RE: IPv4 address block [ In reply to ]
I have used Eddie at iptrading several times over the yearsfor IP block purchases and never had this sort of issue, so would count this as a recommendation.

Regards,

Eddie Stauble

eddie@iptrading.com <mailto:eddie@iptrading.com>

855-IPTRADE (855-478-7233) Ext 107 Direct: 754-227-8423

<https://iptrading.com/>

Re: IPv4 address block [ In reply to ]
Hey Tony/Eddie

I think your choice of email signature may have given away the game a
little bit here

Regards
Ben Cartwright-Cox

Re: IPv4 address block [ In reply to ]
Christopher Hawker wrote on 11/01/2024 10:54:
> Reclassifying this space, would add 10+ years onto the free pool for
> each RIR

on this point: prior to RIR depletion, the annual global run-rate on /8s
measured by IANA was ~13 per annum. So that suggests that 240/4 would
provide a little more than 1Y of consumption, assuming no demand
back-pressure, which seems an unlikely assumption.

Nick
Re: IPv4 address block [ In reply to ]
Matthew Petach wrote on 13/01/2024 00:27:
> In light of that, I strongly suspect that a second go-around at
> developing more beneficial post-exhaustion policies might turn out
> very differently than it did when many of us were naively thinking
> we understood how people would behave in a post-exhaustion world.

Naah, any future relitigation would end up the same if new ipv4
addresses fell out of the sky and became available. The ipv4 address
market turned out exactly like most people suspected: it was a market;
people bought and sold addresses; the addresses cost money; there
were/are some sharks; life moved on.

> If you limit each requesting organization to a /22 per year, we can
> keep the internet mostly functional for decades to come,

at least in the ripe ncc service region, all this proved was that if the
cost of registering a company (or LIR) and applying for an allocation
was lower than the market rate of ipv4 addresses, then people would do that.

The root problem is unavoidable: ipv4 is a scarce resource with an
inherent demand. Every policy designed to mitigate against this will
create workarounds, and the more valuable the resource, the more
inventive the workaround.

In terms of hard landings vs soft landings, what will make ipv6 succeed
is how compelling ipv6 is, rather than whether someone created a policy
to make ipv4 less palatable. In particular, any effect from a hard
landing compared would have been ephemeral.

Nick
Re: IPv4 address block [ In reply to ]
> at least in the ripe ncc service region, all this proved was that if the
> cost of registering a company (or LIR) and applying for an allocation
> was lower than the market rate of ipv4 addresses, then people would do
that.

Funny you say that, I had the same discussion with someone yesterday. It
wouldn't be hard from a PDP perspective to implement a policy that
prohibits companies from the same corporate group from applying for
allocations to ensure a fair distribution for new members, so for example
if two LLCs had the same owners/directors (forgive the terminology) both
LLCs could not both hold resources, it'd be one or the other.

Going back to allocation rates...

After looking at the APNIC Resource Explorer (https://rex.apnic.net/) since
policy "prop-127: Change maximum delegation size of 103/8 IPv4 address pool
to a /23" was implemented, there have been on average (the equivalent of)
1834 x /23 prefixes delegated per-year, from 09 May 2019 to 08 May 2024.
I've averaged the future delegation rates from 09 January to 08 May based
on the prior 8 months. Looking at the equivalent number of /23 prefixes in
3 x /8 prefixes, this calculates to quite a substantial 98,304 x /23
prefixes in 3 x /8 which would last ~50 years based on delegation rates in
the APNIC region. Even if we were to reserve 10% of that pool, that would
still give us a timeframe of about 48 years. Want to increase the maximum
delegation to a /22 and retrospectively apply it to those who could only
apply for a /23? Still gives us just under 22 years.

A substantial amount of time.

Regards,
Christopher Hawker

P.S. All the figures above are based on the 5 RIRs getting an equal
distribution of 3 x /8 prefixes. LACNIC and AFRINIC may (as an example)
only receive 1x or 2x /8 prefixes due to their service region sizes with
the balance distributed between ARIN, RIPE NCC and APNIC. This again, would
affect figures and is difficult to forecast.

Re: IPv4 address block [ In reply to ]
>> If you limit each requesting organization to a /22 per year, we can
>> keep the internet mostly functional for decades to come,
>
> at least in the ripe ncc service region, all this proved was that if
> the cost of registering a company (or LIR) and applying for an
> allocation was lower than the market rate of ipv4 addresses, then
> people would do that.
>
> The root problem is unavoidable: ipv4 is a scarce resource with an
> inherent demand. Every policy designed to mitigate against this will
> create workarounds, and the more valuable the resource, the more
> inventive the workaround.

and complex policies lead to more complex workarounds which make the
internet crappier

> In terms of hard landings vs soft landings, what will make ipv6
> succeed is how compelling ipv6 is, rather than whether someone created
> a policy to make ipv4 less palatable. In particular, any effect from a
> hard landing compared would have been ephemeral.

amen

randy