Intelligent Computing Solutions

Midwest Internet Exchange

The Brothers WISP
Re: "Lit" Buildings [ In reply to ]
Le Thu, Dec 07, 2023 at 07:52:09AM -0600, Mike Hammett a ?crit :
> For those of you who list your network (usually wireline, but sometimes wireless) with third parties, are you supplying just the KMZ or lit buildings as well? If lit buildings, are you including residential? How are you defining near-net?

I only supply "backbone" KMZ and I am not diplaying which building is connected.
If you are within a range of a few hundred meters (up to 300m) to the
cableline, you are considered near-net.
Re: "Lit" Buildings [ In reply to ]
I’ve had experience with a few (wireline) organizations that did this and I don’t think there is a consist answer to your question, so this is definitely a YMMV situation.
The best I can summarize:- There was always some degree of obfuscation of the fiber plant even relative to what we shared with customers, particularly but not just in relation to building entrances.- Publishing a building list was always desirable but not always practical. For example, at a previous employer, our agreement with a specific key customer prohibited us from publicly publishing any building in which we served them, even if the building was multi-tenant and we served other customers, so we found it more practical to avoid publishing a building list entirely.- Some of the third party data providers, which appears to be what you’re really asking about, make it onerous to provide granular metadata. Usually the decisions as to what we provided them had more to do with the path of least resistance than specific marketing or business decisions. - No real experience with residential, but at a previous employer we had built to a not insignificant number of MDUs on behalf of other providers and generally treated those locations like any other on-net building, although I’m not clear that was the correct approach contractually. - Ask 5 people what constitutes “near net” and get 10 different answers. The best I can generalize is that “near net” constitutes buildings where the provider thinks there’s value in broadcasting that it can reach but can’t in good faith say is on-net. My current employer has a fairly precise threshold as to what we’ll include and it’s the first network I have experience with where there was actually a deliberate decision made about this.
Happy to provide some more specifics off-list if appropriate.

Dave Cohencraetdave@gmail.com